Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traditional Tail Vise, Flush Legs, Sliding Deadman - Pick any 2?

Kokhamamee ?

I was forever moving the sliding deadman out of the way.
    You can just lift the dead man out of it's track and set it aside until you need it. No reason to slide it around all day.

My holes start ~ 2” from the front of the bench.
    Two dogs in first photo. Short one is the one I wound up using and is the same thickness as the bench. The other one is a design I saw and copied; it sticks out the bottom of the bench.

I have even been known to get totally crazy and grip projects twice as thick as the eight quarter with out problem. See second photo.
    What exactly does one need extra long dogs for on a regular basis ?
    Oh yah pattern making
    So you are obviously going to have to make another bench for that and put the Emmert vise on it.
    Fun ! Another project !

That is an interesting picture. It looks like there are two spacings for the dog holes. The first and last dog hole in the tail vise seem to be spaced farther away and the middle three seem to be closer. The holes in the table seem to be spaced at the farther away spacing, except maybe all the way down at the end of the table by the leg vise. I can't quite tell. Hmm.... that could be interesting.
    On the Yale or mine?
    Mine ARE Asymmetrical spaced along the length of the bench (but not front to back) on the moving tail vise.

On the misaligned holes on the Yale bench
    say
    now there is some thing we can bang the table about. I have never come across that and I have really stared hard at a lot of benches.
    Is that an advantage or is it
    perhaps
    dare I say
    Cockamayme

How does one spell Kokhamamee anyway ?
    First time I have ever wanted to use the word.

PS: Bike photos . . . I ran across these while looking through my photos for dog photos and thought some body might appreciate it even though it isn’t a dog. He tells me it was a temporary malady and his bike is back to normal after new years. Must have been that synthetic chain lube. It has been know to cause mutagenic complications.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 01-18-2015 at 5:17 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

I'm guessing those holes are out of line in order to give clearance to the internal thread and nut of the tail vise.
    Yemmmani Christmas ! Move the screw not the dog holes.
    I was able to choose where to put my vise screw when I made my bench and I'm a first time "user". Not a Big O'l Dog making a big O'l Dog's bench which that certainly qualifies as.
    I am thinking . . .
    half fast hybrid. The guy got the vise off one junked bench and adapted it to fit this main bench.
    Quakamaymii
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 01-18-2015 at 5:20 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

FWIW - I placed the dog holes 1 3/4" from the front face of the bench top, so even with a dog in every hole, they will not interfere with the sliding deadman, if or when I every get around to installing it. I've not had any problems with the dogs not being any closer to the front edge of the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post
    My bench is long (8') so there will be quite a space between the legs. Maybe a bench slave, or something I can put up if I need it and get it out of the way when I don't. Jeff.
    That's really big. Will it be up against a wall?
    I'm a proponent of using both long sides of a bench,
    for different tasks.

I like the Nicholson design shown on The Logan Cabinet Shoppe podcasts
    because it doesn't try to hold everything down. I've incorporated that aspect.

When I'm prepping stock, I don't have to unclamp anything to shift the board.

I like lumber with 'interesting' figure - so planing in one direction isn't in the cards.
    Being able to reorient the board saves me considerable time.

If you're like me, it's pretty rare to work a board that's longer than 39".
    If you're jointing the edge of a long board, I recommend you look to Terry Gordon's
    shooting jig that puts the board flat on the bench - you've got eight feet to work with.

I've recently made a similar shooting board and have excellent results.

Why bother with setting something on it's side, with all that real estate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw_scdtQoFE

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    That's really big. Will it be up against a wall?
    I'm a proponent of using both long sides of a bench,
    for different tasks.
    My shop layout is kind of hard to explain. It started out as a "lower single car garage" (sort of a "walkout basement" type arrangement with a garage door) when we bought the house. We remodeled and I removed the garage door and built swing out doors. I also carved some additional space into the basement. So my shop has a nice long north facing window. My bench will sit there. Due to the remainder of the layout, it isn't feasible to put it out in the room. Since it is narrow (22-24" wide), that doesn't make a lot of sense anyway. I made it 8' simply because I had the space and the window runs about 6-7'.

So long story short, yes it is against a wall underneath a window. I really like working in that corner of the shop on my hand tools (I have an "ultimate tool stand" that I but some time ago. I use it as a temporary "bench" there until this gets built).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    If you're like me, it's pretty rare to work a board that's longer than 39".
    If you're jointing the edge of a long board, I recommend you look to Terry Gordon's
    shooting jig that puts the board flat on the bench - you've got eight feet to work with.
    I hadn't seen that before. Thanks for the link!

Jeff.