Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do we keep upgrading our tools?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Is it just simple minded monkey-ness that I want a new shiny toy? Thats not usually me, and Im certainly not a status-seeker. (You know the type. Theyre in every hobby. They come in and spend a ton just to tell you what they have.)
    I highly doubt that the vast majority of upgraders do it for status or for want only of a shiny toy. Do you know a single person who does it for status? I can't think of one.

I do it for the hope (here's where the debate is) of improving my results. Some will argue that it's the maker not the tool that matters, but in my own world, in my own experience, sometimes the tool improves the results.

In power tools (lathes, bandsaws, tablesaws) I am certain the vast majority of people upgrade their tools (with the exception of Sawstop) for more capacity and precision and as a distant second, bells and whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post

In power tools (lathes, bandsaws, tablesaws) I am certain the vast majority of people upgrade their tools (with the exception of Sawstop) for more capacity and precision and as a distant second, bells and whistles.
    At some point, especially with power tools, they are obsolete. You can put a great tuneup on a handsaw, plane, or chisel and get great results out of a mediocre tool. Your never going to make a basic Craftsman table saw operate like a Powermatic 66 or a Sawstop cabinet saw.

I highly doubt that the vast majority of upgraders do it for status or for want only of a shiny toy. Do you know a single person who does it for status? I can't think of one.
    Hello Prashun! Maybe "status" was a poor choice of words. Perhaps "bragging rights" is closer/better. But sadly yes, I do know a few to whom owning that very expensive tool - and telling me they have it - seems to be more important to them than making nice things with it. So, I just didnt want to come off that way, which is really why I mentioned it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The answer to the question "why did you buy this tool" is different if you are a hobbyist or a professional.

the pro answer is "i can make a profit if I buy this tool" - that is - the cost of acquisition will be repaid by improvements in productivity, quality, new service capabilities, etc.

the hobbyist answer is "I had the $$ and wanted it" - that's it - free society & all that.... which means you can toss your fun/discretionary dollars down whatever rabbit hole you choose - i agree with the attitude that the $$ i save by wearing walmart jeans just gets sent to veritas or lie nielsen..... someone else might choose 100$ jeans instead - and the best part is - we are both RIGHT

It's funny. I have more years as a cyclist than I care to mention. I rode my second road bike for over 15 years. If anyone remembers steel frames and downtube friction shifters, that was my ride. That was replaced with a sweet handcrafted Italian job. Loved that bike, and, I appreciated it. Put a lot of miles on it and literally rode the snot out of it. Didn't get my first carbon fiber bike until 2005. Still have it, and it rides as good as the day I got it.

Why bring all this up? Well, in the bike world, I see all types out there. One can buy the top of the line number that the pros ride. Doesn't mean you ARE a pro, or even ride like one. Doesn't matter. I see many who get into cycling because their friend does it. They buy the same high end number, because, they don't know any different. Whatever. I also see a lot of bikes that are 2 years old and for sale because 1) they really don't ride as much as they thought they would, or 2) they have to have the latest go-faster bling. Bully for them. I'll save the discussion about their abilities and road knowledge for another day.

Me? I keep stuff a long time and only replace stuff that gets worn out or broken. Oh sure, I have a lot of "wish list items", but, that's just day dream stuff for down the road.
    Maurice

To the point of the OP, my wife and I have plenty and do not live high on the hog, though we spend on what we like. For her, it is shoes and clothes. For me, it is tools and guns. We do not travel much, though we get extended weekends in multiple times per year, generally to historical places. Older daughters married off, still have a 15 year old at home and she's bound & determined to take over the family business (manufacturing plant).

Again to the point, we do exactly what we enjoy.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    Older daughters married off, still have a 15 year old at home and she's bound & determined to take over the family business (manufacturing plant).
    She sounds like a smart young lady Tony. Good for her! I hear PA has some pretty good business schools to help her get there.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    She sounds like a smart young lady Tony. Good for her! I hear PA has some pretty good business schools to help her get there.
    Fred
    Penn State, like the rest of us: me, wife, both older daughters, both older daughters husbands, 2 of the older daughters in-laws!

Mechanical engineer, but also wants an MBA.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries

I do it for the hope (here's where the debate is) of improving my results. Some will argue that it's the maker not the tool that matters, but in my own world, in my own experience, sometimes the tool improves the results.

I bought a digital mitutoyo micrometer today and without a justifiable reason. I became comfortable working with precision equipment in my late teens and have always felt handicapped without it, but for all intents and purposes completely useless for woodworking, so sometimes there is a 'shiny thing' factor involved.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I find myself actually selling tools now. I bought things I thought I needed, but are actually not all that useful in my world. I don't have a lot of duplicates (except marking gauges, compasses, and dividers, but who doesn't?) not even in chisels.

Frankly, part of that is because my "disability" restricts my spending power, so I'm now pretty picky about what I buy. When I buy a tool, I hope it will do its job well, and for a long time. I have a somewhat "Schwarzian" attitude towards tools now. Good tools, and not that many.

so I don't upgrade too much any more. For both philosophical and financial reasons.

oh, and I'm a hack. So I dont need lots of new shiny tools, when the old ones work fine.

also, I don't want my wife to kill me. :-)
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 02-13-2015 at 10:04 PM.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    I find myself actually selling tools now. I bought things I thought I needed, but are actually not all that useful in my world.
    Paul, last year I culled tools and stuff I was either not happy with, no longer needed, or just shouldn't have purchased to begin with. With the proceeds from that sell off, I bought useful tool that fit my work style now. Thinking about it, I should probably make it a habit to periodically cull the herd and trim the fat.
    Maurice

I have it easy, I just keep one of each because I can't afford more. I have a #4 and #3½ Stanley plane and they've been very useful and I use them a lot.

But sure I wish I had more planes, I'd like a #7 jointer, a router plane and a rabbet plane and a small block plane still, perhaps an old wooden plane to act as a scrub plane.

There's a transitional Union #28 plane nearby for sale, but I dunno what I'd do with it, perhaps it could work as a #5 but I don't think I have much need for that when I got my #4 so I think I might pass on it.

All in good time as I find deals I guess. Good thing I own a power jointer/planer I got very cheaply.

Actually,I have thinned out earlier tool purchases. Usually by giving them to beginner woodworkers I want to help. I never bought tools than DIDN'T work!

Those Costco jeans are quite good. They even have rivets. I could wish for different placement of the belt loops for better ease in locating a cell phone ,Leatherman tool,etc.. The Costco jeans have a watch pocket 5" deep,which I really like! I wear $5.00 blue denim shirts if I can find them that cheap. I bought 17 at Walmart a few years ago at a low sale price. I don't care what they cost. $5.00 or $40.00. They will all wear out on a few years anyway,regardless. One time I did find a batch at Costco for $5.00 each,and bought up a supply. They were as good as any others. They all get worn out by washing machines in a few years. Shocking how much blue fluff gets on the dryer filter.

I finally succumbed last night and bought a Marbles pocket knife for less than $13.00,shipping included. Made in China. An article said they are as good as originals. If not,I'll make a replacement blade from 1095. I just want to check their quality. They are said to be made from 440 stainless. I'm not a fan of stainless,but if true,440 is as good a stainless as most. Perhaps ATS34 might be better. We'll see. Nothing will get as sharp as 1095,or plain carbon steel. But,of course,stainless will not get messed up in your pocket.

Ramble over.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-18-2015 at 8:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I bought a digital mitutoyo micrometer today and without a justifiable reason. I became comfortable working with precision equipment in my late teens and have always felt handicapped without it, but for all intents and purposes completely useless for woodworking, so sometimes there is a 'shiny thing' factor involved.
    Useful for measuring shaving thickness. I bought this one a long time ago just for that purpose.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I hope you are making her work on the plant floor Tony. Because of general male attitudes in manufacturing it'll be hard enough for her without being viewed as just another "suit" in the front office. An ME degree with an MBA is a hard combination to beat given a time working as a first line supervisor and/or an engineer. Kudos to her.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH