Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What cheap throw away material to use over my worktable?

What cheap throw away material to use over my worktable?

My work table is a solid wood door . Its nice and clean. When I build model airplanes, I lay a piece of ceiling acoustic tile as a temporary topper because I need to stick pins to hold the balsa over the plans. I also have a very nice piece of 1 inch balsa butcher block that I use occasionally .

For non model airplane use , I am wondering what cheap wood to use as a sacrifice support piece when I need to cut through the workpiece with router or circular saw so I don't cut grooves or drill holes into my solid door work top ? I have used sheets of white foam but I hate the bits of foam that gets thrown all over the place.

Tks

I never use sacrifical material and cannot offer a suggeston for one but I do it a different way and maybe this would work for you.

When I make cuts like this, sometimes I support the wood above the surface with blocks of wood and cut on the garage floor if the board is really long. Other times, I use the end of my tablesaw and support stands to create the span to cut. Maybe you could use a sawhorse or something else the same height and span the wood across these two.

Good Luck with your solution.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

I don't use a sacrificial board for cutting, but if I needed to, I would just go to lowes and find the cheapest piece of 1/2" plywood they sell.

Some people use 3/4" MDF. I know a cabinet shop that has work benches made of 2 sheets of 3/4" MDF over sawhorses.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

MDF would work. It's nice and flat, but it's slippery -- I don't know if that creates a problem for you. If you don't like the foam balls, you probably won't like MDF dust either. That stuff makes a mess of the shop!

Tks for the suggestions above. I have used saw horses with several lengths of 2x4 across them as workpiece support . Works ok for straight cuts , never tried it with a router for circle cuts . I will look for cheapest plywood I can find at lowes. The plywood I have at home is too good for this .

I use 1/8" tempered hardboard on my workbench. It comes in 1/4" too. It's pretty cheap, easy to cut and install, and even fairly durable. When it's trashed, I'll replace it....it's been at least 2 years now....
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have a replaceable 1/4" MDF surface on both my workbench and one counter. I use 1/8" tempered masonite on my MFT or workbench when tracksawing.

They sell 3/4" foam insulation at the big box stores, I use it when I am cutting sheet goods on the floor.

I agree with Bill Huber! Pink or blue foam boards work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I agree with Bill Huber! Pink or blue foam boards work great.
    Do the pink and blue foam generate lots of beads like the white foam stuff? If not they would be ideal because they will be much lighter than ply, mdf or hardboard.

All hardboard are 1/8 inch and smooth only on one side at HD or Lowes.

I'm with Bill and Jeff. I use the pink rigid foam. It does not leave the beads that the less dense white stuff does.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I'm with Bill and Jeff. I use the pink rigid foam. It does not leave the beads that the less dense white stuff does.
    Plus, you can stick pins into it for your model airplane work!

Thanks guys . I will check out the pink or blue rigid foam.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H Lee View Post
    Do the pink and blue foam generate lots of beads like the white foam stuff? If not they would be ideal because they will be much lighter than ply, mdf or hardboard.

All hardboard are 1/8 inch and smooth only on one side at HD or Lowes.
    Well, cutting into the foam with a circular saw does produce some floating debris but it isn't nearly as obnoxious to deal with as MDF dust. Hardboard might be better but I like a backing material that is thicker than 1/8 or 1/4 hardboard because there is less chance of setting the saw up so it hits the supporting material below it (which might be concrete in my case). The insulation is cheaper too. I normally use the insulation board with a Makita track saw, which provides good dust collection when used with a shop vac.