Thread: Customized plane tote

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    Derek,
    Whoo HOOO
    Saw Mill is loadable again ! Quick like a bunny.

I am in the process of reading your plane tote/custom LV article.
    I had to stop and comment on a rather unrelated side note that I observed and feel a need to convey.
    I am looking at the photo of Jeff Miller demonstrating his stance.
    I note that the foot on his rear leg is markedly turned out of line with the direction of his plane stroke.
    A strong orientation for traction for the rear foot but in the long term a very bad habit to get into.
    I know this from actual experience and damage I have inflicted on myself.

The photo of you, how ever, shows you have your rear foot more in line with the stroke as if you could catch something with your cat like toes and propel it behind you with a skillful flick of your foot.

This
    is much healthier for the knee joint in the long term. It is more like walking or running which is what the knee was designed for. The former (Jeff Miller) foot orientation would be good for pushing a stick or rock off a hiking trail but not really good for the knee joint when repeated with strong force and thousands of repetitions.

Did I mention I think I have permanently damaged my knee to a small degree from making this error in body alignment ?

So keep up the good work and pass it on.

PS: before this I have had absolutely zero knee injuries or knee problems. I no longer run or ride to any significant amount so it could only be the hand planing.
    Thanks Winton

I am sure that Jeff Miller and I have different experience in life that contribute to a (similar but) different way of looking at the body ergonomics of hand planing. I think Jeff is or was a serious cyclist. I not sure how that works, since my years of cycling were reserved for getting to junior and high school My own experiences come from years of karate when I was a young adult, many years of serious tennis and squash, and decades of surfing and windsurfing. All of these sports emphasise the use of the hips in power and control, and bending the knees and remaining low for balance. I am sure that others could talk of the sports they played - skiing, golf .... - and how these are treated in a similar way. I find this an interesting subject since since the mechanics of hand planing and the ergonomics of handplanes, themselves, seen so similar.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Here's one I made a long time ago. Only suited to someone right handed, however.

Also made a knob that was not round. Eventually sold the plane with the knob and tote.

I wasn't really satisfied with it. If I was to do it again, I'd do it a bit differently. It's walnut.

Mike

Tote-001.jpg Tote-005.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-09-2015 at 12:56 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Maybe I don't understand which hand I'm supposed to use on the tote but that one looks perfect for a left hander such as myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Here's one I made a long time ago. Only suited to someone right handed, however.

Also made a knob that was not round. Eventually sold the plane with the knob and tote.

I wasn't really satisfied with it. If I was to do it again, I'd do it a bit differently. It's walnut.

Mike

Tote-001.jpg Tote-005.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    Maybe I don't understand which hand I'm supposed to use on the tote but that one looks perfect for a left hander such as myself.
    Because of the way the tote was shaped, it would feel fairly awkward if you tried to grip it with your left hand. It was shaped for a natural grip with the right hand.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Whoa look at that rear tote !
    Looks like a handle right out of Beast Master.
    The only way to hang on and stay atop a dragon in full tilt flight.
    Nice one !
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    Whoa look at that rear tote !
    Thank goodness it's not pink or else we'd all be in the wrong forum and threads entitled 'home hardenss test' would take on a different meaning altogether!
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"