Thread: Friendly Dog

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    Bear is a lover not a fighter.
    Just make sure you have a good supply of tomato juice in the house,just in case.
    We have a family of skunks near by,I don't know exactly where their home is all I know is every once in a while my neighbor's cat bothers one of the skunks and we get the benefit of their pungent spray for a whole night .
    I can tell you from personal experience that all tomato juice does is turn the fur on your pet a red color and make the animal and you unhappy. It does nothing to even dilute the odor. The best solution is:
    1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
    1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent
    Mix these together and bathe ("shampoo" in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly.
    Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is unstable.
    Let sit for five minutes and rinse with tap water afterward, and repeat if necessary.
    For spray in the eyes, flush with water as soon as possible.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I can tell you from personal experience that all tomato juice does is turn the fur on your pet a red color and make the animal and you unhappy. It does nothing to even dilute the odor. The best solution is:
    Mix these together and bathe ("shampoo" in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly.
    Let sit for five minutes and rinse with tap water afterward, and repeat if necessary.
    I used this in on two of our dachshunds. It worked pretty well, it also works as a hair bleaching agent in red dachshunds which is funny to see.

I was cutting the grass one day and all of a sudden noticed 3 little skunks and their mother chasing after the tractor. They did this for about 5 minutes then they meandered away.

They only "attack" when they get spooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I have had really great results with a product called "Natures Miracle". All the pet/feed stores carry it around here. It is an enzyme that breaks it down. Make sure to get the bottle labeled for skunk spray. Some of their products are for urine or other odors.

The side of our house got sprayed once. I thought it would go away on it's own, but after a week the inside of the house still smelled really bad. We kept the whole house fan on most of the time so we could stay there. The smell was gone completely within an hour of using Natures Miracle.

Steve