Thread: Couple questions on my PM66 i purchased

Couple questions on my PM66 i purchased

I bought a used PM66 green machine. It needs some parts, a good cleanup, and a set up. Before I go to the work of getting the top dialed in, I wanted to replace the belts. Should I use standard v belts, or those segmented belts? I assume they have to be purchased in sets of 3. Where is the best place to purchase them? I also need to replace a couple broken handles on the blade tilt and height knobs. It would be great if I could get them all at the same place and save double shipping. It appears that someone has added a feature to allow the use of a riving knife (see picture). This doesn't look original to me. Has anyone ever seen something like this? Also there is a spring loaded bracket off to the right hand side (see picture) that I have no idea what it does. Any help appreciated.

If you can idetify these parts, and guide me how to use them, It would be great. Thanls

Justin

Can't help with the questions, but that is the dullest saw blade I've ever seen. I'd use standard belts.

Looks like a Biesemeyer aftermarket riving knife. I had one on my Jet JWTS-10 and it looked similar.

I agree that the white bracket is to a Biesemeyer splitter. I have one on my later model Powermatic 66 at work, and I really like it. it's much better than the original blade guard/splitter.It was a bit of a pain to line up, but once I had it aligned, I haven't needed to re-adjust it.
    Standard V belts are fine.
    I don't know what the hinged bracket is for, unless it's for the original the blade guard.
    Enjoy your saw. It's a great one!
    Rick

You can find sets of V belts for your saw on ebay for about $20. Just search "powermatic 66". Grizzly sells hand wheels and knobs in several styles and prices.

John

Segmented / Link belts are perfect for these saws. After I replaced the belts on my PM65 with link belts it ran noticeably smoother. I just used the Link belts available at my local Harbor Freight and they worked great. If you go with conventional belts I believe you are supposed to buy them as a matched set so they are all exactly the same length.

I picked all the refurb parts for my PM65 off of ebay.

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, the blade is very dull. Is there any use for a HSS blade (or reason to hang on to it?)? It is a Forrest blade. I have a new carbide tipped Forrest blade for it. The Biesemeyer splitter bracket isn't aligned correctly but I'll get it dialed in. I'll remove that spring loaded bracket. I'll check Ebay for the parts I need. Thanks again.

Justin

I got belts for my PM 66 from Royal Supply. They were Gates AX belts and I think under $10 each. These are excellent belts and are precise enough you don't need to get a matched set of three. For the hand wheels you might try Redmond Machinery. They specialize in older, hard to find Powermatic stuff.

Doug

Make sure the belts are a matched set if you go with v belts. I learned the hard way - lots of variation in the belts I got.

(drooling............ so much SWMBO just went for the mop......)

Isn't there a '66 owners group somewhere? Seems to me there should be one...
    >>> Je Suis Charlie <<<

[QUOTE=Isn't there a '66 owners group somewhere? Seems to me there should be one...[/QUOTE]

I have never seen or heard of a PM66 owners group but I certainly am going to do a search for one.