Thread: Infill in Honduran rosewood entered in DelMar fair competition

Infill in Honduran rosewood entered in DelMar fair competition

Hail, fellow atavists: Haven't hung out here in a while but wanted to post pix of a new infill that I've entered in the "Design in Wood" competition at this year's Del Mar fair - actually, the San Diego County Fair, running through the end of June and well worth seeing for anyone who spends his or her days knee deep in sawdust.

IMG_4177.jpg
    IMG_4172.jpg

Here are the details:

• Honduran rosewood infill with a hand-rubbed Tried and True Danish Oil finish, topped with Myland wax and rubbed to a high sheen.
    • Mild steel sides dovetailed and pinned to 0-1 tool steel base, all 1/4 inch thick.
    • A-2 tool steel iron, 1/4 inch thick, beveled at 30 degrees plus microbevel and pitched at 45 degrees
    • True cyma curve from the tip of the crown to the point where a 1inch arc rises to touch the back of the iron, with the radii of the two arcs in the cyma curve in the proportions of a golden rectangle.

This is one of my "shorebird" planes - so-called because the crown resembles the head and bill of the many shorebirds my wife and I see Sunday afternoons on the beach in Shell Beach, CA, half an hour north of home in Santa Maria.
    Last edited by Juan Hovey; 05-31-2015 at 6:22 PM. Reason: Error in headline

Art takes many forms. This is art.

Blog Entries
    Just because it isn't to my tastes doesn't mean it isn't beautiful.

Good luck and let us know how this beauty does in the show.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice work Juan. Let us know how she does in the show. Good luck!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”