Thread: Adult Children paying board?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My youngest daughter has boomeranged back to us for a third time. Previous to that my son boomeranged back once as did our eldest daughter. We are happy to help them out in these circumstances, have never charged for room and board. They have always contributed in one fashion or other including paying for groceries and doing chores, etc. I can't see making them pay rent. If they could afford rent they would certainly be living on their own. In fact, they don't want to live with us, its their circumstances that are forcing it. Family is family and we will always be willing to do what we can to help each and everyone one of them. How in gods name could I live with myself if I became some sort of landlord to them? That's just not the way we raised our kids.

We have a single child, 13, so we have yet to experience any of this but I think my wife would shoot me if I tried to charge our future adult child to stay with us if she needed to. Her customs in Serbia, I think, are like that. My wife likes family to be close because she was close to all of hers until she left for the US. I guess we'll see in time but I really don't have any worries. I have a feeling my daughter would want to be out on her own anyway. I think my wife will go a bit crazy when our daughter does eventually leave home. All she'll have is me then! LOL! Might need to get a dog or something....
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 06-04-2015 at 4:35 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.