Thread: Saw Benches vs Saw Horses?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Stew,

I maybe thinking wrong but in my experience saw horses are too tall for use with hand saws much better suited for powered saws. My saw bench is built knee high with a flat top and puts the board in perfect position for either crosscut or rip. Maybe my concept of the two is incorrect or it maybe semantics and the two are the same critter.

ken
    Ken has it exactly right.

I built me sawbench wide, and low enough my knee can rest o a board placed on it. It's narrow enough that I can straddle it, so I can sit on any board I am working on, but wide enough to be comfortable. I have a gap down the centre lengthwise for ripping, and drilling. I also have dog holes in the top so I can hold birds in place. The feet actually make a shelf so I can support a board on end to work on it on one end.

My saw horses, on the other hand, are made out of metal, too high and narrow to support a board on, I can't put my knee on the bird to cut, as it's too high, and I need two of them. I usually use them to hold a board so that I can sit down.

i realize there is hyperbole here, but there it is.
    Paul