Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving fillister from HNT Gordon

Blog Entries

Moving fillister from HNT Gordon

I was cruising through their website this morning and came across this;

I've been really combing through websites on the prowl for a moving fillister plane, so I'm glad to see something like this.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Doesnt get any better than that.

Wow, that's a lot of bling.

Philly planes makes a great looking traditional moving fillister.

Thats' great.

I recall, a few months ago, reading on their site something to the effect that they were close on the moving fillister, and were anxious to get it in production, so they would gain the experience necessary to tackle the plow plane they want to make. THAT is the one I am waiting for. Won't be able to afford it, of course, but still..............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of bling.

Philly planes makes a great looking traditional moving fillister.
    The one from Philly planes is quite sexy too.

Kent, I think this has been a work in project for these guys from quite some time. I spoke with Terry a few months back and he mentioned the moving fillister would be first.

I currently use a dado plane in place of a moving fillister, but I know a true moving fillister is quicker and easier to setup. I'm certainly looking to completely remove the electric router from my life, and this gets me one step closer.

Blog Entries
    That is sweet, and thanks for turning me on to these guys. Wow. Their set of hollows and rounds is pretty tempting. I bought the Veritas matched set of skewed rabbiting block planes as well as their low angle rabbeting jack plane. Those serve me well enough for now.

That said, this really fits your woodworking style and it's just "you." You're one that I would think would get $1200 of joy out of it or else I would say go for the Veritas.

Blog Entries
    LOL, very true. That being said this one is pretty out there for me, but given the comparison to a lot of high end infills it's not unreasonable. I've been eyeing their hollows and rounds as well, they're very tempting. I've been getting into shapes a little bit and I have a door handle in mind which will require a set of hollows and rounds.

I did the outside round over of the table wings with a #4 and a spoke shave, but it would have been quicker and more easily repeatable with a round.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    That is sweet, and thanks for turning me on to these guys. Wow.
    Derek Cohen speaks highly of HNT too. He's mentioned them several times in posts here. Supposed to be great tools.

Just a bit outside the price range for my hobbyist budget, kinda like one of Ron Bontz' magnificent saws. (Sigh)

Blog Entries
    I was looking at those earlier today too Brian, after reading how you were doing other projects using HNT tools. They look sweet but I need a lathe, lathe tools...first.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Derek Cohen speaks highly of HNT too. He's mentioned them several times in posts here. Supposed to be great tools.

Just a bit outside the price range for my hobbyist budget, kinda like one of Ron Bontz' magnificent saws. (Sigh)
    No room in the till beside your Holteys, Fred?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I've seen a few made also by Clarke & Williams. Those are similarly lovely.

I have the ECE. It's not even close, bling-wise, but it's still made of wood, and is extremely well made & functional. It also only costs around $200.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 08-15-2015 at 9:57 PM.

Here's a C&W version with a handle, which is pretty neat:

http://www.handplane.com/Planemaker-...fc2d81661b31f4

The Gordon sure pops, though, because of the dark wood against the brass. Any idea what that sells for? Not $1200, surely?
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 08-15-2015 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Any idea what that sells for? Not $1200, surely?

Dude - your reading skills are failing you. They say $1285, or more for upgraded wood.

I assume that is $AUS, but that's not monopoly money either. If it is $AUS, that's about $950 green money.

I'd have to go for the $300 upgrade to ebony, to tell you the truth..............

OMFG !!!!!

My ECE just got a little bit prettier.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    OMFG !!!!!

My ECE just got a little bit prettier.
    Yeah....but you are still ugly as sin.