Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
Hi William, thanks for chiming in. I think it's important to mention which stone is was, because there are many many different type nowdays. without knowing which stone it was the comment is left unhelpful.

I have no doubts a shapton or a chosera would respond poorly. the sigma 1.2 works just as well with oil as it did with water however it is still absorbing oil and not quite as splash and go as I'd like. I might boil it with some soap and salt and see if it goes back to working well with water. at the moment it has enough oil in it that water will just sit on the surface and glide off. truth is a fine india of good arkensas stone are just as good as water stones are so there is no real need for the conversion... but it is interesting.
I know the stone was not expensive and was ordered from one of the major on-line retailers several years ago, also I have never owned a stone finer than 8k grit. I am not fond of sharpening and put it off as long as possible. Seem to be people here that really enjoy it.