Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuzzy silver maple?

Fuzzy silver maple?

I was out and about today and 2 guys where throwing out some freshly cut Silver Maple. I immediately pulled over my truck and loaded some up.
    Once I got a bowl blank roughed out, I started to turn. That's when I noticed that it was getting fuzzy. I understand tear out, but the fibers actually standing out? I tried to hollow out the bowl (see picture) but it just frayed more. I'm brand new to turning and don't know my fanny from a hole in the ground when it comes to wood, but is there something I can do to stop this? Wood too green? It was cut today...

I really appreciate any and all advice...

IMG_1477.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you sure it's maple? Willow, cotton wood or mystery wood. There is too much good wood to bother with that much fuzziness.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I was wondering if it really was Maple or not too. But you should have better luck, if the wood is worth it, to speed up your lathe and make sure your tools are as sharp as they can be, that should help.
    Tim.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

Quite possibly silver maple. It does tend to leave more fuzzies than other woods. I would guess that the surface is from a scraper cut, which on that wood would leave that much hair. A shear cut with a gouge would leave it a lot cleaner. There is no such thing as being too green, at least not for me. I have a bunch of bowl turning clips up on You Tube if you type in robo hippy. The one on finish cuts in maple and myrtle would help explain some.

robo hippy

Looks to me like you are scraping rather than cutting. Cutting shears the fibers, and scrapping tears them, quite often tears them out. See this thread for some ideas on how to keep it from happening.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ow-to-avoid-it
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

It looks just like the maple (red) I tried to turn last week. Fuzziness too. Eventually got past the fuzziness with bowl gouge, but ended up splitting and got thrown away.

7. I have turned some silver maple and its a lot softer than most people realize. I have had the fuzziness especially when it's fresh and wet. If you are roughing out, I wouldn't worry about it. When you finish make sure your tools are sharp. A lot of the stuff I have turned has torn out pretty bad if the tools were not sharp and the technique was poor.

Who cares. Rough it out and wax it. When dry and you recut it they will probably disappear. If not shoot a coat of SS and sand away.

Occasionally I will experience some fuzziness on rough outs of silver maple, but it is one of my favorite turning woods. When dry, it normally responds wonderfully to a nice, sharp edge. It accepts dye nicely, too. And, as a bonus, it often exhibits some nice figure and quite often, contrasting coloration. Very prone to Ambrosia infestation when stressed or diseased, and you are a lucky turner if you happen into some of that wood! When you get figure, Ambrosia and some spalting, you have hit the trifecta.

As Robert stated, fuzzies matter little in a rough out. I have extremely good success with rough outs by Anchorsealing only the exterior and rim, leaving the rough out to dry from the inside. Just toss the rough out under one of the workbench areas in my shop on the concrete floor. They are usually ready to finish turn in 4-6 months. No DNA, no boiling, no wrapping, etc.

So after a bit of research, I think it's Cotton Wood, not Silver Maple. Here is a picture of the bark.

IMG_1481.jpg

I have seen some poplar that has bark like that. Most cotton wood has thick coarse bark, but cotton wood is in the poplar family.

robo hippy

I think that's poplar, rather than silver maple. It sure looks like the poplar that grows around here, the bark on the silver maple is a bit rougher.
    Len

Looks like Beech to me......

That bark is definitely not Cottonwood or Silver Maple. It looks like Aspen or Birch.

Birch anyone?