Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shop Walls

Bob, Your first stop is to your local building department.

More than likely, the local building code will mandate the use of (at minimum) 5/8" GWB throughout the interior of the shop if it's attached to the house. This is especially important since slotboard is notoriously flammable/inflammable/nonuninflammable (where's George Carlin when you need him?). GWB is cheap, so go for it. By covering with slotboard you won't have to do a pretty job, but you will have to do at least one tape and mud layer.

If it's detached, you might be able to avoid the GWB. But you'll still have to cover those areas that won't get slotboard unless you're planning on floor to ceiling slotboard around the entire perimeter. Yikes, that stuff ain't cheap.

Your second stop is to your insurance agent. Make sure that you coordinate your findings at the building department with your insurance agent. You may find that while satisfying your local friendly ever-smiling civil servants and their requirements, it could be an altogether different story with your local scowling ever-with-his-hand-out insurance pal.

And then, forget the slotboard altogether. It's expensive and the specialized hangars are where they'll really bite you in the rear. So like so many have said before, "use wood sheet goods like osb or cdx." Then paint it. And yes, you'll still have to install the GWB first.
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 08-30-2005 at 8:24 PM.

Slotwall

Hi Andy,
    You are right about the cost of the slotwall material and the hangers. Fortunately I had access to the manufacturer out here and got the sheets @~ $9.00/sheet. There is a commercial display co. here that sells used/returned hangers for significantly less as well. I used 24 sheets and the retail costs would have encouraged me to consider other wall coverings. Good luck, John.

festool fairy

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    so you painting the trim Festool lime green? with large Festool decals?
    hey scott quess what? i found one of those pretty green decals in my mail box must be the festool fairy was near my area latly// i want to thanks her or him for it. got just the right place for itto show of proudly its green color
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!