Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Closed Handle Design.

This is one sweet saw. The handle is gorgeous. Love the attention to detail and the efforts spent to finish it. Now a question, do you you that disk sander for some of the rough shaping and squaring up?

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Thanks Niels. The traditional shaping of the lambs tongue takes a fair amount of practice to get it visually correct.

I am not overly keen on some of the modern interpretations floating around that deviate away from its traditional appearance.

regards Stewie;
    That's a keen observation. I was looking at this image from one of the kenyon saws and you see a similar interface between cheeck and tongue.

24.jpg

In contrast with the very elegant tongue from Klaus and Pedder. It's touching almost by accident. Clearly very different.

CIMG1960.JPG

A disc sander is not of much use for making saw handles. Only a very limited number of operations can be done with it on these highly curved surfaces. It could be used for finishing off the flat surfaces in order to sharpen up where the rounded over surfaces meet the flat faces. But,a side stroke belt type sander would be of more use as it does not leave swirly scratch lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    Your craftsmanship speaks for itself.
    You have an innate sense of scale and proportion which cannot be taught.
    Hi Joe. Thats is my preferred approach.

regards Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 10-31-2015 at 4:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    This is one sweet saw. The handle is gorgeous. Love the attention to detail and the efforts spent to finish it. Now a question, do you you that disk sander for some of the rough shaping and squaring up?
    Thanks Pat. The disc sander serves no role in shaping my saw handles.

regards Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 10-31-2015 at 3:26 AM.

Hi Dave. A member of this forum recently received one of my saws.

That is one lucky member!!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    A disc sander is not of much use for making saw handles. Only a very limited number of operations can be done with it on these highly curved surfaces. It could be used for finishing off the flat surfaces in order to sharpen up where the rounded over surfaces meet the flat faces. But,a side stroke belt type sander would be of more use as it does not leave swirly scratch lines.
    Yeah, I really didn't think it would be of much use but thought it might serve some purpose for helping to square up the outside curves to the faces.

The brass back has been hand shaped; stamped; and secured to the saw plate;

The handle has received its final coat of garnet shellac; and will be left for 5 days to allow the finish to harden up before receiving a final buff.

Next on the list is to file and set the saw teeth; 12 tpi; 8* rake angle.

Stewie;

Where the back of the saw plate angles away from the heel of the hardback, a small area of saw plate is normally formed. When mated within the handle mortise this small area of saw plate can cause the hardback to twist slightly as its pushed into the back of the mortise housing. This condition generally causes the toothline to twist out of alignment when mated to the handle. My personal preference is to remove that small area of extended saw plate down to the bottom line of the hardback.

# The above mentioned is based on the assumption the mortise and saw plate slot have already been checked for proper alignment.

Stewie;

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 11-01-2015 at 10:38 PM.

The following highlight different approaches to the lambs tongue connection.

by Two Lawyers Toolworks.
    http://two-lawyers-toolworks.blogspo...oard&Itemid=58
    Hi Stewie,

the link you provided shows a handle that was made in 2009. It actually was the very first handle with a lambs tongue, we've ever made. Things are changing. The shape of our sash saw handles did as well. To make it clear, here a pic that shows the former design (Cocobolo) compared to the newer shape (Ebony).

P1040137.jpg

A closer view of the lambs tongue.

P1040140.jpg

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

Stewie are you ever going to sell these magnificent saws or are you just teasing us all with your craftsmanship?

That's in fact a great design change Klaus. I like the newer model better. The top horn also looks more refined.

I'm so stupid in looking at design things. It really needs someone to point out these details for me. On my own I rarely see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hart View Post
    Stewie are you ever going to sell these magnificent saws or are you just teasing us all with your craftsmanship?
    Hi Chuck. I do sell my saw making work. I just dont deem it a high priority to chase sales.

regards Stewie;

Looks great Stewie. We love your work!

I've lost count - how many more are you going to make before you stop and move on to something else? ( I remember there was a target number.) Also, if one wanted to purchase a saw, should they just PM you to discuss it?

Hi Fred. A pm is the best approach. After this one, there will be 16 more backsaw builds. My next backsaw is being made to suit a clients request.

regards Stewie;