Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long do you let a glue up dry before you start machining?

Summer 45 minutes, winter 1:15. I'll plane or mill it as soon as it's out of the clamps. It will need to dry/cure for 3 days before I'll put a finish on it though. Otherwise you can get telegraph lines showing through the finish.

Regular PVA glue doesn't really need clamp more than an hour or so (I even sometimes open after 30 minutes if I am really in a rush).
    As for machining, I try to wait at least 6 hours but have done much sooner (like 2-3 hours) and no issues.
    If you have ever tried to undo a joint after 30 minutes you might realize how strong the joint is after such a short period.

I started woodworking in a weekly evening class, and if you let the glue ups sit for more than 30 minutes you would never get anything made.

I now try to leave a few hours, but I am sure have done 50 glue ups with no more than 30 minutes before proceeding and have never had a problem.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I personally let panel glue ups, especially with spring joint clamped over night. Cope an stick or bridal joints more like an hour or so, I made some try squares the other day and took the spring clamps off after 30 minutes. It all depends on the situation, I think a good fitting joint is more important for success than clamping time.

I left the raised panel doors I made for my roll around kitchen cart dry for 24 hours before I planed them.
    Darned things nicked the planer blades and left lines in the panels....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hobkirk View Post
    Didn't Fine Woodworking find that TB had at least 80% of it's strength after 30 minutes?
    I would love to know if this is right or wrong.
    I recall 2 hours to reach 80% strength but don't have a citation. I imagine temperature and maybe humidity enter into it.

You specified planing the material. For that process, I like to have the glue set for several hours. For other processes, I've worked on the material in as little as 30 minutes.

When I took woodworking classes, one instructor took two pieces of wood, rubbed titebond on the faces and held them together while he lectured for a few minutes. Then handed the wood to a student and asked him to separate the two. Couldn't be done.

I use PVA for veneering in a class I teach and leave the panels in press for 30 minutes. They are fine but you can't put any water on them for a while (water is used to remove the veneer tape). If you do put water on the panel, you risk a bubble where the glue detaches.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

When I am doing commercial shelving which involves making a large number of shelves, I time them at 20 minutes. I can clamp up about four shelves in twenty minutes, so once I get the fourth one clamped, I start removing the first shelf I did. I write the time I finish clamping on each one so I know the time for sure. I have never had an issue removing the clamps at 20 minutes. I have caught mistakes after 4-5 minutes and could barely pull the two pieces apart. I don't even try after 7 or eight minutes because I know the wood will start to break instead of the glue.

I don't work a glued panel at that point, which was the question. I prefer to wait at least 4-5 hours and when I can, I wait a day or two before planing or even sanding.

i do a lot of glueups with TBIII and unless the joint is under pressure during the winter an hour with no problems but i wait a day to apply a finish for cabinet doors i clamp like 15 minutes and have never had a problem

I usually try to do my glue-ups before I clean up the shop for the night and then they are ready for the next day so typically 24 hours. I also try to plan out any weekend work so a glue-up can sit ~24 hours before working it.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA