Thread: Glowforge release

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    He may have a lifetime of experience with laser engraving but he has no knowledge of digital controls or how the internet works. Just go back and read his exchanges with Lee.
    Feel free to set the record straight and point out anything I have posted that is incorrect.

FWIW, someone posted some Glowforge hardware info on GitHub:

https://github.com/ScottW514/GF-Hard...dware-Overview

GF's storied legal team is probably not too happy with that, assuming that they actually exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henry3424 View Post
    FWIW, someone posted some Glowforge hardware info on GitHub:

https://github.com/ScottW514/GF-Hard...dware-Overview

GF's storied legal team is probably not too happy with that, assuming that they actually exist.
    hahahahahhahaha looks like that will get ripped pretty quickly
    You did what !

It looks like GF uses 2 steppers to move the Y-axis. Is that common on any level of laser? Seems like most use a single stepper and belt(s) to move both sides of the gantry on Y, but I'm pretty green.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henry3424 View Post
    It looks like GF uses 2 steppers to move the Y-axis. Is that common on any level of laser? Seems like most use a single stepper and belt(s) to move both sides of the gantry on Y, but I'm pretty green.
    My ULS uses one stepper for Y, located in the center of the back wall, belts to both sides. Then again, it's smallish machine with a fixed-tube layout: the RF tube assembly weighs about 35lbs, so you really don't want to move it around. If the GF's tube moves in Y, the gantry is heavier and two motors makes sense. (I've seen several CNC routers laid out that way.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.