Thread: Most memorable MIL gift ever.

Smile Most memorable MIL gift ever.

For years my mother in law buys me something woodworking related. The past decade or so she had bought me some type of specialty lumber. We have plenty of good sources in the area and don't live that far from Berkshire Products. One year she bought me some really figured cocobola. She was worried it was too hard and dense to do anything with. I told her some of the harder woods I find easier to work. They cut cleaner, finish smoother, etc like cherry vs pine. She cut me out an article she saw about that ancient wood that gets dug up and sold at crazy high prices. I forget the species but it was interesting. A few years back I got ahold of a 20" wide 12' long floorboard from a house built in 1715, and the floors installed before 1725. It was demolished in the early 80's and somebody I knew had a few of the better boards stored in a barn ever since. Not prehistoric maybe, but preconstitution is pretty cool.

Well, I didn't carry in a board or anything really big enough to be a board from her car when we unloaded it yesterday. I came to a small shoebox size present. That was this year's wood.....

1 Hard and dense - check
    2 Figured and unusual color - check
    3 old - oh yeah check.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yup, a nice chunk of petrified wood. She went off on her own on this one......it will live in my shop and I will get a chuckle out of it every time I think about it.

P.S. In all fairness she bought me a hunk of ebony in the past and it was coated in the heavy wax. She figured this has some coating on it as well. It's the thought that counts.

Ha! Hey, if you grind one side of petrified wood flat and polish it like glass sometimes it looks spectacular.

JKJ

Seriously cool.
    Looks like a beautiful beef fillet with nice marbling.

You have a special MIL.

You win the internet today!

I agree with Dave. Would make a good kitchen art piece on a board along with knife ,fork,salt,and pepper.

Maybe your behavior this year wasn't quite what it should have been and this is your MIL's version of a lump of coal.

A piece of petrified wood (legally harvested) is a true work of nature's art. I have a couple that I picked up while vacationing in Arizona many years ago and really enjoy their beauty.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm still getting a chuckle out of it. It will find a use for sure.

Further details: she purchased it at the Brimfield Flea Market. For those of you not in the northeast it is a HUGE flea market that runs twice a year. The vendor she bought it from had old tools and a bunch of turning burls for sale. So she was in the right place. If she told the vendor the reason for the purchase he is probably still chuckling about it as well.

That's funny, Jim. It's probably really tough on tooling though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think the best gift is a MIL who seems to appreciate your hobby.