Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some updated shop lighting...

Some updated shop lighting...

I had a fixture in my prime machining area go kerfluie awhile back and needed to put in a replacement. I'm all about LED lighting these days and was pleasantly surprised to find that Costco was offering a two-fixture LED "shop light" package for $69. (The BORG seems to sell them for $50 PER fixture) So I ordered it to see how it would work out. One nice benefit to buying from Costco is that they pretty much take back anything you're not happy with for pretty much any reason and at any time. (with receipt, of course)

Well...I'm happy and will be ordering more of these things to brighten up my shop. The 4000K temperature and light output is exactly what I like and there's no flicker with instant on regardless of ambient temp. The next set will go over my bench and finishing area...I'll just keep the crusty old T12 fixtures on the perimeters where light is more of a convenience, rather than a necessity.

It's like daylight in this area now!

The product
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

I am glad that you are happy with the lights. I just purchased 24 fixtures for my new shop. I was hoping they would work out. I also have everything LED. For the house I like 3000K. So, for the shop 4000K should be great.

Sam

Yea, I'm really happy with the light from these, Sam. I'm ordering more later today after I'm done making the shop dirty again...
    --

Excellent! Agree 4000K is the way to go for a shop. The LED lights are really dropping in price. Much more energy efficient too!

I have converted my home interior to LED and won't look back. Since LEDs are solid state devices, do you think they may have a strobing effect with spinning cutters? I'm having a new home built and am not quite sure what type of lighting to install in the garage/shop, so I'm very interested in this thread. I prefer 2700K in the house, but agree 4000K is perfect for the shop.
    Dick Mahany.

I replaced a couple of T8 4 tube fixtures with the Costco Feit 2 tube 4000K LEDs and am REALLY happy. So pleased that I am seriously thinking of nuking all the remaining T8s now as opposed to waiting until the ballasts or tubes die and replacing them with the LEDs (this is a big beal due to my Scott heritage frugalness).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I had a fixture go kerfluie
    Always wondered how to spell that ^
    Now I know, Thanks !

I'm, adding some led's to my layout as well. No Costco here but Sam's Club as similar lights that have a little more output (4200 lumens). They are $35. I bought one yesterday and installed it over my metalworking area. Just an amazing difference!! I'll be adding 5 more in strategic areas in my shop. Very impressed with the led's!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+1 for the Feit 2-bulb LED shop lights from Costco that Jim describes. The price keeps getting lower. I paid about $32 a year or two ago, then saw them for $28 per fixture in the local Costco just a couple of weeks ago.

I've also looked at the similar fixtures at the local Sam's Club, but FWIW they have clear, rather than translucent tubes covering the LED diodes. So each diode is distinctly visible, giving a "rope light" look that I thought might be a bit less appealing for a workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    I replaced a couple of T8 4 tube fixtures with the Costco Feit 2 tube 4000K LEDs and am REALLY happy. So pleased that I am seriously thinking of nuking all the remaining T8s now as opposed to waiting until the ballasts or tubes die and replacing them with the LEDs (this is a big beal due to my Scott heritage frugalness).
    I literally just order four more to cover my bench position as well as the area where I do finishing nearby there. Working today at the J/P and the slider with those new lights overhead was a pleasure!
    --

I just put some like that in my barn where we are redoing the area for tack and other horse things. What a happy difference more light makes - literally makes you feel better!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I just put some like that in my barn where we are redoing the area for tack and other horse things. What a happy difference more light makes - literally makes you feel better!

JKJ
    Good to hear that.

Very interesting that you have so many parallel interests as I do...woodworking, keyboards and...horses...have two, but they are boarded. (I also include cooking and photography in my list of expensive avocations. LOL )
    --

(I also include cooking and photography in my list of expensive avocations. LOL )

Yikes, I hope my wife doesn't see this or her expectations for me may increase. She is the best cook in the southeast and I can make a great peanut-butter sandwich.

One thing I love about these forums is the glimpses into the the varied lifestyles and interests! There is more to life than making things!

I somehow lucked into the most wonderful woman on the planet, over 45 years ago!! She is so conservative I have to force her to spend money on herself but for some unfathomable reason she encourages, er, tolerates my hobbies. I'm also a photo nut, since a teenager (anybody want a collection of Nikon film cameras or a Crown Graphic, mint condition?), have some great obsolescent underwater cameras, a Nikonos and some underwater video gear (plus a complete video editing suite, pro video decks anyone?), spent years serious cave diving (all cave diving is serious; dry suit up for grabs, double tanks, etc.), flying private planes, maniac kayaking with trips all over, and a few years souping up dirt bikes. Now that I'm elderly and feeble and all settled down I'm quite content throwing bales of hay, shearing the llamas, driving the tractor around the farm, teaching kindergartners, and playing on the lathes and milling machine. :-)

BTW, this is my latest acquisition: a beautiful 7-year-old buckskin quarter horse, reining trained then left in the pasture with a bunch of other horses for about 5 years. He was "fun" to work back into shape (no one was injured) but I am so blessed with some experienced help - these two both love horses but have no farms of their own. Fortunately, we have barns, fields, round pen, and lots of trails! One girl taught my horse Tiny to ride again after going blind over 10 years ago. Life is so good!

Olivia_seq_s.jpg OliviaMyranda_huntingseason.jpg Olivia_tinyhug_IMG_4585_s.jpg

When I asked my vet what do you do with a blind horse, she said "You hug him a lot." No problem.

Yikes, forgot the time - 20 degrees out and time to feed!

JKJ

Blog Entries
    I think I am going to wait a few more months in hopes the prices will come down some more. I just looked on Amazon and it looks like the best I can do there is around $50 for one 2 bulb fixture. $35 to $40 would be better. We don't have Costco around here, I will look at Sam's the next time I am there.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I think I am going to wait a few more months in hopes the prices will come down some more. I just looked on Amazon and it looks like the best I can do there is around $50 for one 2 bulb fixture. $35 to $40 would be better. We don't have Costco around here, I will look at Sam's the next time I am there.
    Morning Larry. I'm quite impressed with the Sam's fixture. They are $35.00. I certainly plan to add more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]