Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hubbard View Post
I own the MAGNI-FOCUSER by Edroy Products. It is a headband set up, like the Optivisor. The 2x lens focuses at 10 inches, the 1.75x lens focuses at 14 inches. It was purchased about 5 years ago from Lie Nielsen. As I recall, the cost was about $23. It is the best $23 I have spent on a tool for woodworking. I did not audition any other brands before the purchase.

Adding magnification makes woodworking more accurate. The step up in accuracy is of about the same magnitude as advancing from a pencil line to a line scribed with a marking knife.

My purchase was made because magnifying lenses were on the tool list for a class I took at Marc Adams School of Woodworking. Only one other student in that class showed up with lenses. I had used magnification for many years on the job, so it was comfortable for me to use magnification in woodworking. I loaned my lenses to other students, but some of them found the lenses uncomfortable and others found it difficult to focus.

I wore magnification on the job for 35 years. Those were 3.5x extended field telescopes mounted into the lenses of prescription glasses. Back in the day, the cost was about $1500. I tried them for woodworking, but the field of vision is too small, the depth of field is way to shallow, and they require a very intense souce of light. The quality of the plastic lenses in my headband now make me wonder about that $1500.

In training, we wore 2.5x flip up loupes that were screwed to the nose piece of prescription glasses. I now see them advertised as "dental loupes" for about $150 (less than my usual total for an order from Lee Valley). They are fairly light in weight and are adjustable for pupillary distance. I thought about ordering a pair for use on wrap around safety glasses, but my prescription now changes every year, and I am so pleased with the headband lenses that I cannot justify the effort and expense of new lenses every year to go with a set of dental loupes.

I wear the headband lenses almost every day I do woodworking, often for several hours at a time, and have experienced no headaches or visual fatigue. I wear them for marking, all handcut joinery, setting up the router, lining up the track saw, even using the jig saw. I do not own a table saw or a band saw - might not want my head that close to those blades.

The lighting in my garage is less than stellar. A portable LED light mounted on a medium size GorillaPod provides plenty of light for the headband lenses.
Steve, thanks for the info. I have never worn any form of magnifying lens', so I don't want a failure right off the bat. I do wear glasses, but for distant vision only. Will this be of concern to me with the Optivisor type, or any other type, lens?

I"m wanting magnification for some close router work and possible jigsaw work.