Thread: Half Sheet Sander

Half Sheet Sander

Okay folks, I'm looking for opinions on half sheet sanders.

I have many years of experience with the venerable Porter Cable 505. This is my first choice, but of course it's out of production. I know these sanders will produce a wonderful finish.

The second option as I see it is the Makita BO4900V. I've no experience with this sander, however I've used many Makita tools over the years and been generally impressed with their quality.

So, how about your .02?

I tried to search here for reviews or articles but didn't find anything, I'm just not that savvy, sorry.
    Maintenance Man - I do precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by people of questionable knowledge...

The best one I've ever seen is an AEG. I have one I bought in the mid '70s, but I'd say the chance of finding one approaches zero. I haven't used it since they came out with Random Orbit sanders, and don't really know why anyone would.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I haven't used it since they came out with Random Orbit sanders, and don't really know why anyone would.
    This was my initial thought as well. But since you want one, Amazon shows 2 Makitas, a Bosch, and a Festool. All of my sanders are Makita and I love all of them so the upper level Makita should be fine. I wouldn't hesitate on the Bosch either. Festool is Festool if you got the money. EBay has a ton of 505s if you got to have one.

I used 2- Porter Cable 505 half sheet sanders, one in each hand ,35 years ago. They were the standard finish sander back then. I've been using 5" RO sanders in recent years and just got a Milwaukee 6021-21 that works fine and is a good value price wise.

I have been trying to make my sanding go faster, so I thought what about the latest 1/2 sheet sanders. A 1/2 sheet has way more area than a 5" disk. Even more than a 6" disk. Regular paper is cheaper than H&L disks and readily available.
    I've tried a Bosch 6" RO sander but I needed to hold it with 2 hands. So I went to my local dealer and asked to try sanders one could use one handed.
    I tested the 5" Festool ETS 125 and the Festool RS 2E half sheet side by side. The 5'' was slower at removing pencil marks than the RS 2E. The ETS 125 had near new 100 grit in it but the RS 2E had a fresh 120 grit sheet. Both worked fine one handed. So with that in mind I was impressed with the RS 2E. The ETS 125 didn't seem any better than my Milwaukee 6021-21 I made some notes and thought that maybe the modern half sheets have improved over the old 505's.

I saw the Bosch 1293D 1/2-Sheet was well reviewed on Amazon and it's made in Switzerland like the fine Bosch jig saw I have.

So I bought a new Bosch 1293D 1/2-Sheet. $144 and Swiss made. I tested it side by side with the $60 Milwaukee 6021-21 made in China.

I was disappointed . I saw no reason to keep the Bosch. It's slightly slower than the Milwaukee and heavier. I guess the Bosch may be better on large flat areas with 320 or finer, but I rarely do that.

All the sanders I tested produced an acceptable almost undetectable swirl pattern.
    I returned the Bosch 1293D 1/2-Sheet sander.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I don't remember the specifics on the AEG. I also have a 505. The AEG has more power, a larger orbit, and much higher RPM. If I get the chance, I'll see if I can find it this week.

Right before clicking on the title of your thread the Porter Cable 505 came to mind. In my opinion it is one of the best half sheet sanders you can buy, even though they have been out of production for a number of years. Ebay always has one for sale, I have 2 since I like them so much.

The PC and Rockwell 505 sanders are available on eBay.

I still have my Rockwell 505 from back in the day, Like AJ I do remember going 2 fisted on some pine floors as a ute.

I don't use it much anymore but totally love it when it's needed. I also repurposed it by making a wood collar that fits the round part (2 pieces) and then clamping it in my bench vise upside down. Works great for small pieces or those times when you would rather hold the piece not the sander.

If you are near a Festool dealer check our the RS2. Great half sheet sander. It's what got me started on Festool. crazy smooth running.

LOL I remember working in one cabinet shop when we lived in Sacramento, the boss was a real p***k and to keep up I used one 505 in each hand.

Think I will troll CL until my allowance builds up then probably hit eBay. Sure seems that you can still buy any part needed for them.
    Maintenance Man - I do precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by people of questionable knowledge...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I used 2- Porter Cable 505 half sheet sanders, one in each hand ,35 years ago. They were the standard finish sander back then. I've been using 5" RO sanders in recent years and just got a Milwaukee 6021-21 that works fine and is a good value price wise.

I have been trying to make my sanding go faster, so I thought what about the latest 1/2 sheet sanders. A 1/2 sheet has way more area than a 5" disk. Even more than a 6" disk. Regular paper is cheaper than H&L disks and readily available.
    I've tried a Bosch 6" RO sander but I needed to hold it with 2 hands. So I went to my local dealer and asked to try sanders one could use one handed.
    I tested the 5" Festool ETS 125 and the Festool RS 2E half sheet side by side. The 5'' was slower at removing pencil marks than the RS 2E. The ETS 125 had near new 100 grit in it but the RS 2E had a fresh 120 grit sheet. Both worked fine one handed. So with that in mind I was impressed with the RS 2E. The ETS 125 didn't seem any better than my Milwaukee 6021-21 I made some notes and thought that maybe the modern half sheets have improved over the old 505's.

I saw the Bosch 1293D 1/2-Sheet was well reviewed on Amazon and it's made in Switzerland like the fine Bosch jig saw I have.

So I bought a new Bosch 1293D 1/2-Sheet. $144 and Swiss made. I tested it side by side with the $60 Milwaukee 6021-21 made in China.

I was disappointed . I saw no reason to keep the Bosch. It's slightly slower than the Milwaukee and heavier. I guess the Bosch may be better on large flat areas with 320 or finer, but I rarely do that.

All the sanders I tested produced an acceptable almost undetectable swirl pattern.
    I returned the Bosch 1293D 1/2-Sheet sander.
    Did you have identical sandpaper in the two you tested at home? I wouldn't base my opinion on two different grits when comparing sanders. Even that small a difference will yield different results. Just my opinion.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I have the PC505. It's a workhorse but it kicks up a huge amount of fine dust. I won't use it with out a dust mask.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Did you have identical sandpaper in the two you tested at home? I wouldn't base my opinion on two different grits when comparing sanders. Even that small a difference will yield different results. Just my opinion.
    Yes, I tested the Milwaukee 6021-21 and the Bosch 1293D with several identical grits.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    Yes, I tested the Milwaukee 6021-21 and the Bosch 1293D with several identical grits.
    OK. I am using a 1295, but have a new-in-box 6019 that I got awhile back for very little. Thinking maybe I should get it out and use it.