Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Monster lathe tools still in up and running?

This is the second company making great products for the woodworker/turner that wound up shutting its doors following the passing of the original owner. First was Jointech and now, Monster Lathe Tools. Sad.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Their web site now says they are closed and quitting the business.

3. Wouldn't it be wonderful if some machinist contacted the folks and maybe worked out a deal where they could get the rights to the design and inventory that may be left and purchase the rights to begin making these items again......I am not a metal lathe guy, and for sure do not have the time or skills to do so, but if someone had the desire and the machining tools, this might turn out to be a profitable venture.......maybe?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger,

Being a machinist, and making a high end hollowing rig myself, I can tell you that you will never get rich making these things. Unless you love making them you will make a living and that is about it. They are way to labor intensive and in my case some of the material cost are crazy and can't be changed. I make mine in my free time because I love to make them, but I keep my day business going because I make so much more doing that profession. It always seems like a good idea to make your hobby a business until you do it. Randy was a great guy. He made his tools because he loved to make them. His son probably just had different priorities then Randy. I can't blame him for trying to better his families life.

Alan

Not trying to hi-jack the thread but I was wondering if anyone has built the Eddie Caselin's Steel Snake hollowing tool? I know that it wouldn't be as silky smooth or rigid as the Monster hollower or Harrison tool's Simple hollowing system. But I'm wondering if it would be "good enough"? Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this or a similar home-built hollower?

Monster Lathe Tools and Accessories is gone for good. See http://monster-lathe-tools.com/. - John

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    Roger,

Being a machinist, and making a high end hollowing rig myself, I can tell you that you will never get rich making these things. Unless you love making them you will make a living and that is about it. They are way to labor intensive and in my case some of the material cost are crazy and can't be changed. I make mine in my free time because I love to make them, but I keep my day business going because I make so much more doing that profession. It always seems like a good idea to make your hobby a business until you do it. Randy was a great guy. He made his tools because he loved to make them. His son probably just had different priorities then Randy. I can't blame him for trying to better his families life.

Alan

Well Alan,
    Now that you know how to make the bases you can fill your free time by making them for every one.
    Mine is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bailey View Post
    Well Alan,
    Now that you know how to make the bases you can fill your free time by making them for every one.
    Mine is perfect.
    One of these day's I hope to fill my free time to making art again. To many projects and not enough time.

Great perspective Alan. - and you do make some really beautiful art. At least when you have time!

Doug

Just got word from one of the owners - Monster Tools is going to reopen for business. I do not have additional info as to when but will update when I know more.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
    Thanks for the update Steve.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Just got word from one of the owners - Monster Tools is going to reopen for business. I do not have additional info as to when but will update when I know more.
    Super news!!!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Hi folks. I'm not a Turner (yet?) - just happened to read this thread. (I hope you don't mind.) In addition to the word that Mr. Schlumpf got, they've posted a sort of "never mind" note ( )on their web site:

We're Back!

Well folks, due to popular demand, we’re back in business! We’ve thought long and hard about our decision to close shop, and have come to the realization that we need to continue down the path that Randy Privett started, and keep making the best lathe tools and accessories we can. We apologize for any worry or inconvenience our temporary closing might have caused, but we look forward to getting busy again in the shop and hearing from all of our woodturning friends again.
    Thanks for your understanding,
    Todd and Michelle

Best regards.
    Fred

Monster Tools website is open for business and now taking orders!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Wow! Awesome. I should buy even more parts for my rig to support them.....

Just to let readers know, I think they make a really good tool rest as well. But, its a round bar tool rest. If you don't like a round tool rest, nevermind, but they can custom build one if you want. For example, if you want an off center tool rest..

Also mini lathe T-nuts that help stop tailstock and banjo creep. Geez, I sound like a commercial for them.... No affiliation, I just like their products. And I'm glad they're back.

Welcome them back and order some stuff!!