Thread: Lathe platform?

Lathe platform?

Was curious how people have raised the height of your lathe? I would like to raise mine 5 to 6 inches hopefully without losing stability any suggestions or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sam

What kind of lathe? That can make a big difference. I had my old PM 3520A up on 4 by 4s.

robo hippy

What spindle height are you trying to reach?

It is a PM 3520B, I am 6'4" without my work boots or any padding and I believe centerline is at 44 inches so I would like at least 5 inch lift maybe 6 thanks for the help I am thinking maybe a platform with 2x6 base

How about 6x6 sq. posts, like they use for pole barns? contractors cut to length when assembling bldg. or are available at building centers.

The solid 6 by 6 posts should work. You will want to use a forstner bit to drill holes deep enough to sit the leveling feet so the lathe doesn't walk off the legs. I had my 4 by 4 posts nailed to the wall so it wouldn't walk around when turning. You might need to do that as well, and maybe have leveling feet hare neoprene pads, or some thing under the posts so all feet can be flat on the floor, compared to the uneven surface of the posts. You could also stack 2 by 6 a couple at a time till it gets to the right height. I am 6 foot tall, and the 4 by 4 worked for me. I have my Robust slightly higher than elbow height.

robo hippy

I used 4x6 PT under my Oliver to both raise to height and help move.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Ladendorf; 03-11-2016 at 1:44 PM. Reason: Added picture