Thread: Dust Collection Again

Dust Collection Again

Anybody have one these https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...Catcher-System Black Hole collectors?

Is it big enough?

"Big enough" is a fairly relative term here. I got one about a month ago and have used it on 8" hollow forms and bowls up to 18" in diameter. There isn't much to the system so what you are really paying for is the engineering that went into it. The collection port that came with mine measures 7.5" x 13.25". I also have a much larger port that I can use if the need arises. So far, for me, the key is to keep the port very close to the item being sanded, which is very easy to do. Also, the ability to turn the port either vertical, horizontal, or anywhere in between is a very nice option to have. Now, in my limited use would I buy it again? Yes I would.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

I've owned the Wood River dust hood on a stand for a couple of years now:

http://www.amazon.com/WoodRiver-Dust...dp/B0035Y97DO/

It looks like the hood on mine is quite a bit larger than the one on your linked item but yours is probably more easily adjusted to just the right position. The stand that the Wood River comes on is basically a pretty heavy duty music stand base, like what musicians use to hold sheet music. I am able to position it pretty much right where I need it. However, because it is attached to a stand on the floor, the base is often buried in wood shavings.

This is ONLY MY OPINION..... But if it were me I would build something for a whole bunch less money. There are lots of diy ideas online if you look a bit. A floor stand allows you to move it around much more and easier I think. Mine is made with a 3 gallon bucket with a 2" pvc pipe cemented in and an 8" dust collection hose clamped at the top. I'll post a photo asap.

This is what I use.
    20160228_170543_resized.jpg

Hi Rick,
    That is the dust "big gulp" collection I use. Today I went up to HD and got a 3/8 tap and dye along with 4 caster wheels with brakes. My hope is to make this part of the dust collection unit more portable! I am hoping to working on it more tomorrow.
    Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

Hi Vince,
    I got the base form a coworker- don't remember how he got it but, I got a cheap Big Gulp from Amazon and it has work well for me.
    I hooked a little cheap HF dust collector to it and it works fine for sanding dust.
    It not going to get the curries though.