Thread: Adding on to current 2 car garage and need input!

Adding on to current 2 car garage and need input!

Hi all, been a while since my last post! I have relocated to near KC Missouri and have a great place but need to add on to my garage for a workshop. Pics of plans below.... Question is, to go concrete floor or base with wood flooring? Original garage is 26x26 2 car and want to add a 12x26 lean too of sorts. The 12x26 will have my wood working area along with storage for wood, lawn mower, chainsaw etc... any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ahhhhh..... the smell of fresh cut wood!

A wood floor is always going to be a lot more comfortable to work on than concrete, but what you might consider is to pour the concrete for the whole area (level since it's not a garage area) and then put down sleepers with insulation and a wood floor over it for the area where your woodworking will take place.

One thing comes to mind...will you have enough height to do a lean-too design that provides adequate space to work comfortably. You'll want a minimum of 8' if at all possible.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

David, are wood-only foundations common in your area? Are there termites native in the soil? Pier-and-beam foundation aren't good for all regions. Also, a pier-and-beam foundation is typically above-grade, versus a concert slab at/below grade, so you might lose too much headroom with P&B if you want to tie into the edge of your current roofline.
    Mark McFarlane

Thanks Jim, I think it should be OK height wise. The garage is 10ft at edges so the roof on the add on would have a 2ft drop for the 12 ft span. That will give me 8 ft height at outer wall of addon. That is if I just do the slab as Mark pointed out, P&B I think I would loose too much headroom on outer wall.

You'd only lose about 2.25" with 1.5" thick sleepers/insulation and a 3/4" plywood (not OSB!) floor.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You'd only lose about 2.25" with 1.5" thick sleepers/insulation and a 3/4" plywood (not OSB!) floor.
    Jim, Your suggesting this as a finish on top of a concrete slab, correct?
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Jim, Your suggesting this as a finish on top of a concrete slab, correct?
    Yup...a concrete slab is efficient for the build and the sleepers with wood surface make for a comfortable shop floor to work on. The rigid foam insulation between the sleepers also help with that comfort.
    --

Cool idea Jim!! Will definitely keep that in mind! Cost wise, how much would you think that would add to the build and can it be done at a later date?