Thread: How to sharpen a marking knife

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    It certainly could; more information would be required before summarily discounting the statement as "blatant nonsense." The concept of directly calling someone out without getting all the details, first, seems to be a bit counter productive to any thread, and also tells a lot about a person who seems to consistently need to have the last say on something....

I use carbide bandsaw blades from Starrett in my larger bandsaw, as I have my own sawmill, and never really know what I might find inside a tree of questionable origin. I rarely saw 4/4 with the woodmizer, and find myself resawing 8/4 or thicker stock a lot. Those carbide blades are expensive, and when they give up the ghost, I keep them for repurposing into other tools, just like this thread. A waterstone won't even make a scratch, but a diamond grinder and diamond hones sure do the trick. No blatant nonsense about that....
    How would you go about making a marking knife out of a carbide-toothed bandsaw blade? (other than by removing the carbide teeth and using the soft steel body) I had actually thought that possibility through....

But yeah, point taken. I shouldn't have reacted like that.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 04-09-2016 at 11:51 AM.