Thread: Old magazines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Don't forget retirement homes and senior centers sometimes like to get a library of magazines.

My dentist could use some updating of his office magazines. 1965 Nat'l Geo would be newer than some of what is there...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I inherited boxes of them from my FIL before he passed. I held on to them for several years and finally threw them in the recycle bin. For sentimental reasons I hated to do that but I needed the space. I recycle all of my current subscriptions to a couple of friends.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

In the same boat right now.
    My collection goes back to around the late 1980's.
    I have convinced myself that if I needed to look something up I would not be able to find them quick if at all anyway. So I dont need them,
    I have let all my Woodworking mags run out and just this month now subscribe to Popular Woodworking digital edition on my Amazon Kindle Fire. I like it so far because the magazines (I think) are kept forever on the cloud . If I need to find a magazine it will be as easy as going to my Amazon account and download it.
    I have two other non-woodworking digital magazines I subscribe to for some time now and every back issue I purchased is always available to me.
    Time Magazine digital lets you go back and read any (Or most) back issues as long as you are a subscriber. Just the other day I heard about a magazine story I was interested in from 1997 Time Magazine and I was able to find and read it in just minutes.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 04-16-2016 at 1:10 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I was afraid I would get answers like this. I guess it's nice to know I am not alone. I will try CL, and then I will continue to give some to friends who would appreciate them, and the rest to Goodwill.

Thanks guys.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

If there is a Half Price bookstore (this is the actual name of the chain not just a generic description of used bookstores) in your area you might call them, most of them have a used magazine section but I have not noticed woodworking magazines. If not call some of the recycling places that buy paper, a long time ago we had a "coffee fund" at the company I worked for they used to ask people to bring their old news papers etc. and would take them to a place near us and sell them. For a while they got pretty good money for them and then the market got glutted and they almost had to beg them to take them the last time they took any. I repeat that this was a long long time ago and I have no idea what the current market is on used paper.

I'm in the middle of packing for a move and I had the same problem. Tons of magazines that I really don't want to take with me. I haven't looked at them in years. I haven't even thought about them in years. I just dumped them all in the recycling bin. They aren't worth anything, nobody wants them, let them be recycled.

Well, I just took over 200 Workbench magazines to the local Habitat ReStore. They said they were glad to get them. I plan to go back in a week or so, and see if they sold. If so, I will start with the Pop Mech, and Pop Sci collection.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.