Thread: Broken Neck - Need Advice

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Broken Neck - Need Advice

This is an inexpensive guitar (some Vietnamese workshop) that my friend bought on Ebay. It arrived with a broken neck. He got his money back & gave it to me after he gave up trying to fix it. He messed up the finish, but I'll probably refinish the entire neck, anyway, as I don't like the feel of the original laquer. (or whatever it is.)

I'd like to "make it work" but not worried about a pristine restoration, and it's not worth paying a pro to do it right, and I'm not good at removing fingerboards, so....

I know, this type of thing isn't a lot of fun, but I could use your collective advice:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I managed to get most / all of the glue out from my friend's hack job, then re-did it with proper clamping, using tightbond III. I figure it's long grain, so it should hold pretty well, but a neck has an awful lot of tension on it.

I once made a similar repair, but added two screws, inserted through the button. (Countersunk and plugged, of course.) That guitar still works fine after maybe 20 years. This guitar unfortunately has an abalone inlay right there, so I'm hesitant to do any more.

I may decide to sand-away that inlay (it's a little gaudy, anyway) then put mahogany veneer over the screw heads, but that's a lot of work. Do you think this glue job has a chance of holding just as it is? If so, how long would you wait to restring it?

THANKS.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 04-18-2016 at 5:13 AM.