Thread: Old Saw with Character

Old Saw with Character

I guess I enjoy old tools as much for their character as their function. I happened to stop into an Estate sale last Friday on my way to work. While roaming through the rusted screwdrivers and chisels used for opening paint cans, I spied a couple of saws tucked behind some scrap wood between the work bench and a cabinet.

One was an Atkins and the other a Disston - with a lot of character. Dust, rust and bad lighting kept me from much of an assessment at the moment, and I really wasn't sure they were worth whatever the price. After all, I've been a little saw crazy lately, and I really don't need another, let alone two. But I just can't stand the thought they might end up in a landfill, so took them upstairs to ask the price. $2 each. Ok, done.

After checking out the Disston in better light and a magnifier, as well as some medallion and handle comparisons on the Disstonian Institute site, it appears it's from between 1878 and 1888. A D8 26" 7ppi crosscut sway back. Owned at one time by someone with the initials SRR.

I'd say old SRR (and whomever owned it before or after) loved this saw and kept it in working order for a long time. It does show it's age. I like that; "new" looking old tools always seem a bit steril to me. The crack in the handle has been secured with a screw. The plate has been sharpened to just below the USA on the etch. A few chips on the horns. A bit of splattered something here and there. Must have been a trusted user for many years.

For now, I think I'll just leave it be.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

Beautiful, should make a great user!

Blog Entries
    $2 per saw is one of those can't refuse prices.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    That saw plate deserves a new curly maple or sapele handle. I put a sapele handle on a #7 and it really made a pretty saw.
    I have a drawing for a handle. PM me if you would like a pdf of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I guess I enjoy old tools as much for their character as their function.

+1

Good tools. Well used.