Thread: Vent to outside suggestions (UK)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Here's what we did...

The machine came with a blower similar to this one http://www.aliexpress.com/item/high-...308.4.2.jXQB15 With 8" hard duct I went up through the ceiling into the attic. Once in the attic I used flexible and vented to the outside to an existing vent. It cost about US$60 for the parts though if you haven't worked with ducting before there might be a slight learning curve.

I plugged the blower into a switched outlet I'd wired when we extended a circuit for the machine and chiller. With that I can turn the blower off (there is no switch on it) and leave the machine, chiller and computer powered.

I've made similar exhaust systems with the Harbor Freight style tube style blower with flex duct in the welding/plasma and powder coating areas.

One problem is you will be sucking out the hot air from your shop, that will add up to high heater bills. If you are venting outside I would also recommend looking at ducted air inlet from the outside to your laser. The downside there is if the temperature is below dew point you will have condensation in your laser electronics.

Kim
    Epilog Legend 24TT

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Vellore View Post
    One problem is you will be sucking out the hot air from your shop, that will add up to high heater bills. If you are venting outside I would also recommend looking at ducted air inlet from the outside to your laser. The downside there is if the temperature is below dew point you will have condensation in your laser electronics.

Kim
    Oh dear... so many points to keep in mind. Did anyone really feel the change in room temperature or noticed higher bills? The room will be about 800 square feet with 2.3m ceilings.
    Don't want to risk with the condensation so air intake from outside won't be an option I think.
    Epilog Zing 16 - 35W
    Epilog Fusion 32 M2 - 75W

Ivan,

We used to vent outside and unless you have serious heating, it will get very cold in there in the winter. The cost of filters is very high on our Trotec, but something we just build into the cost of sales as working environments for staff and us matter more than a few quid.
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

Blog Entries
    Ivan,

Those fans do move a fair amount of air so yes, you will notice a chance in temp in the winter. Since my "shop" is my attached two car garage (Roughly 20x20ft with 10 foot ceilings) and the furnace for the house is located there I added a vent onto the main line feeding the house so I have a source of heat out there. The furnace is controlled solely by the house thermostat, not by anything in the garage so having the garage drop in temp doesnt impact my normal heating bill. My temp in the garage will drop to outside temps if I leave the blower running for a long time. A few hours will easily do it mid winter. So I kill the blower when I am not actively cutting/engraving. Otherwise the vent on my main furnace supply to the house can keep the garage 50 or better during the coldest days here. I am in Seattle, WA by the way. Winter day time temps run around 40 to 45 and nighttime runs low to high 30's most of the time.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.