Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Know of an Air Compressor that Fits These Specs?

Mount the tank in the attic and hook a hose from the portable compressor to the tank plumbing. maybe use a small tank on the compressor for quick use. Like a five gallon tank or smaller.
    Bill D.

Speedaire has a compressor that fits your needs. I have an older one that is very similar, the only thing I don't like about it is - because the tank is small it runs pretty much continually when I'm using a lot of air.

https://www.grainger.com/product/SPE...se%26sst%3DAll

What about a vertical tank (stationary) unit and build a mobile base for it? Not all that different that mobile bases for larger bandsaws that also are top heavy. It opens up a lot more options and I think keeps you under your target price while giving several higher quality options to choose from. Just something to consider.

Just to give my $0.02 about this. At work we have a air bearing stage, which required 3 CFM at 90 psi and we have a small dryer for it that uses about 1.5 CFM to regenerate, so conservatively 5 CFM. This number seemed extremely small for a 240V compressor, but a cheap 3.7 HP, 60 gal Sanborn from Menards shook itself apart in less than 3 months. There is a difference in asking a compressor to give you its rated amount for 5-10 minutes at a time, but ask it to give you something 24/7 and the consumer units don't hold up. We have had smaller units running some pneumatic legs and they have also prematurely failed from 24/7 air use, including a 6 gal CAT compressor. For 8-5 "shop use" you may be okay, but I wouldn't be comfortable running anything less than 5 HP at 10+ CFM for more than 10-20 minutes at a time.

The only compressors designed for 100% duty cycle are way over his limit that he set. Compressors of that grade are usually water cooled and screw type or double action pistons that pump both directions.

Speedaire has a compressor that fits your needs. I have an older one that is very similar, the only thing I don't like about it is - because the tank is small it runs pretty much continually when I'm using a lot of air.
    You have to be very careful about air claims made by the mfg.
    Notice that Speedaire says "free CFM", not SCFM (standard cubic feet per min).
    The actual amount of compressed air delivered @ 90 psi is probably more like 5 or 6, not the 10 that it misleads people into believing.
    Here's a good explanation of what "free air" is http://www.truetex.com/aircompressors.htm
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

You need to strech your budget or wait for a sale on a Quincy QT-54 or similar. It's a 5 hp 60 gal vertical tank two stage pump thats good for 15.4 cfm @ 100 psi. If the vertical it too tall they generally make an equivalent that uses a 30-40 gal horizontal tank that they use for the gas powered portables. I wouldn't run a sander on anything less than a 2 stage compressor.

Rolair has this one but its seems to got for 1299.

https://www.rolair.com/products/air-...ectric/3095k18

3 hp 2 stage dual hotdog portable tank.

If you need to move the air compressor to service it you may be boxing it in too tight for it to cool itself. Most air compressors have a recommended minimum distance they need to be installed from a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Sundberg View Post
    You need to strech your budget or wait for a sale on a Quincy QT-54 or similar. It's a 5 hp 60 gal vertical tank two stage pump thats good for 15.4 cfm @ 100 psi. If the vertical it too tall they generally make an equivalent that uses a 30-40 gal horizontal tank that they use for the gas powered portables. I wouldn't run a sander on anything less than a 2 stage compressor.
    IIRC, that is the compressor, Quincy QT-54, that Dan ended up ordering.
    I waffled between the Quincy and the Rolair and went with the Rolair V5160PT03X. Both are really nice air compressors for a home setup
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)