Thread: From nothing to all the time--

From nothing to all the time--

I'm talking about the phenomenon of when you hear, or notice, or are exposed to something-anything- for the first time...
    And then you seem to be bombarded with it afterwards? Is there a name for it?

I suppose this is common with 'new' things, especially new catch-phrases. Last one of those I remember was "No worries"...After that first time, it was like every single person I talked to afterward used it in conversation.

My lastest is a little different.

About 2 weeks ago one of my customers brought in one of their parts they were custom fabbing for one of their customers.
    They wanted the Spacex logo laser etched onto it. No problem, and it turned out great!

Then last week, one of my LONG time customers I haven't heard from in about 2 years sends me an email, wanting to know if I can laser etch stainless steel license plate frames, as the cheap aluminum ones he's been buying keep corroding from winter road salt. He sent a pic of his current frame...
    spacex.jpg
    He's been with them since right after the last time we talked...

Then this morning a Spacex F9-29 rocket blows up, taking out a Facebook satellite along with it...

"Facebook" is another one, but I digress ...

A month ago I'd never heard of Spacex, then 3 times in 2 weeks, all from different sources...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I find that when I buy a used item that I keep looking after the purchase and sometimes I see a better deal that just .....me off. I should quit looking after I buy something.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 09-02-2016 at 6:50 AM.

Watching CNN lately more often than before and I keep hearing,he or she " doubled down" on a comment .
    another one :" bad optics".
    There are few more but can't remember right now.

I find this happens to me with cars. My 2 year old son loves Jeeps and we point them out whenever we drive now - I never noticed how many Jeeps are out there! Same thing happens when a friend or neighbor gets a new car, then you notice that type of car is everywhere.

Yep, cars and motorcycles are the same. A few years back, I got a killer deal (there's one of those catch phrases) on a limited edition CVO Harley. I bought it, thinking that I might have something special that not many would have. Last get together I went to I had to find my bike with the arm switch on the key fob. They were everywhere. Oh, well.

The older I get, the more often I learn unwelcome lessons and knowledge; ignorance was bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I'm talking about the phenomenon of when you hear, or notice, or are exposed to something-anything- for the first time...
    And then you seem to be bombarded with it afterwards? Is there a name for it?
    Do you remember the first time you carefully followed the instructions for doing something on a computer and they didn't work ?