Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 60w from Automation Technologies

1. 60w from Automation Technologies

Hello everyone. I’ve been reading your posts and enjoying this wealth of knowledge. Thanks for sharing! I’ve been dying to jump in with questions and hopefully some insight soon but it took about a week to get signed up so I could post. That is finally sorted out and I’m happy to be here.

I don’t want to start another “which laser should I buy” thread but I do have a few remaining questions about lasers on my short list that I’m hoping someone can help with. Links for both are posted below, they are the 60watt units from Automation Technologies (Automation Technology?).

The primary use out of the gate and the deal maker/breaker is the size and quality of 1mm to 2mm text that can be engraved on wood. I’m informed that I have to pay for a sample and I’d rather not do that if I’m going to lose $100 if I don’t like what I see. Specific questions that could not readily be answered from the owner follow. I’d love to hear from anyone who owns one of these and any extra info you’d like to share is greatly appreciated.

1) Most important question - How legible is text, sized in the 1mm-2mm range, engraved on wood? Wood to be used will vary and would include curly maple, figured walnut, figured oak, and probably stabilized burl (could be a new can of worms there).

2) The larger, higher priced laser below appears to include the following that is not listed with the lower priced unit.
    a. DSP control system
    b. Water Chiller 3000w
    c. Larger cutting/engraving area
    d. Faster operation (?)

The question here is, what does the DSP controller get me? All I could find was that it enables vector cutting and raster(bitmap) engraving in the same project. Could that not be achieved with the Laserwork(s) software that is included or does the software only support that feature if the hardware is present?

3) I want a seamless “print driver” type capability which will allow me to print directly from Corel Draw and it seems that the Corel plug-in for Laserwork will allow this. Can anyone confirm? Is this similar (in functionality) to FSL’s RetinaEngrave?

Here are the links to the two units:

I’ve not found a comprehensive review of either of these, perhaps because they go by other names. I will be happy to post a review if I end up with one as it appears there is definitely a need.

Thanks again,
    Brett

When I was looking for mine I went to Automation and they did a test cut for me for free. Call and see if John will test for free. I have one of their 60watt units and like it. If you tell me what kind of wood I would run you a test.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Winston View Post
    1) Most important question - How legible is text, sized in the 1mm-2mm range, engraved on wood? Wood to be used will vary and would include curly maple, figured walnut, figured oak, and probably stabilized burl (could be a new can of worms there).
    Wood being what it is, you are not likely to get acceptable lettering in that size from any laser, especially on any figured wood or any wood with open grain like walnut and oak. I have a $30K++ Trotec that will out-engrave virtually any Chinese laser but lettering that size would be mediocre at best unless you are using very clear maple or mdf or something similar.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Wood being what it is, you are not likely to get acceptable lettering in that size from any laser, especially on any figured wood or any wood with open grain like walnut and oak. I have a $30K++ Trotec that will out-engrave virtually any Chinese laser but lettering that size would be mediocre at best unless you are using very clear maple or mdf or something similar.
    I got this (see attached) from a Trotec and consider it acceptable. Lower case letters are 1.75mm tall. Wood is figured English Walnut.

IMG_6515.JPG

5. Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    When I was looking for mine I went to Automation and they did a test cut for me for free. Call and see if John will test for free. I have one of their 60watt units and like it. If you tell me what kind of wood I would run you a test.
    I spoke with John yesterday and he wanted $100 for a sample and said he'd refund if I purchased the laser. If it's not good enough, I'm out $100.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Thanks, I greatly appreciate that! Any light colored hardwood you have handy is fine. I posted a sample pic in response to another post. That is figured English Walnut. Any relatively figured, open-pored wood would be a good test as it's sort of worst case scenario.
    Last edited by Brett Winston; 09-10-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Winston View Post
    I spoke with John yesterday and he wanted $100 for a sample and said he'd refund if I purchased the laser. If it's not good enough, I'm out $100.
    That is what you would call a "Don't Bother Me" fee. How much did it cost to talk to him on the phone?

the 20 x 12 is a Shenhui SH350D. That's an $800 laser

1mm text on wood using a 50.8mm focal length lens is going to be dreadful when produced using a DC tube (a cheap tube that is used in those machines anyways)

Neither of those machines are good value and are roughly 3x what it costs to import the same machines direct from Shenhui
    You did what !

The machines they have for the most part are still in a box, the ones they have on the Showroom floor I would assume are for display only. I purchased one from them a couple years ago and sold when I purchased my ULS and it worked fine. I have autofocus on the one I have now, never used. John can be a little surly at times, especially when you have a problem.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I tried 1 and 2 mm on some poplar and the 1 mm you can not see and the 2 mm is barely readable due to its size. If I use a magnifier I can read both

As an aside, just this week Automated Technologies started advertising on Craigslist selling units that appear to be the same as ones being sold on ebay for a significant upcharge. If Bill is correct and one is just getting a machine still in the box that hasn't been taken out and tested, that is quite a premium to pay.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

I'm not afraid to do something for nothing

From my Triumph just now--

Wood is a piece of 1/4" maple sitting under the machine-
    Font is plain Arial
    Speed=400mm/s, power on the light was 12% which just grazed it- I had to go over the bottom 3 lines a second time-- deeper cut done at 25% power
    gap/res setting: .05mm (equates to 508 lines per inch)
    Just used my 2" lens, could've maybe gotten a bit better with the 1.5"...

My poor old Sony F707 just doesn't like to focus like it used to

trimaple3.jpgtrimaple1.jpgtrimaple2.jpg
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 09-10-2016 at 1:21 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Gary nailed it! On wood 1mm will be near impossible to read clearly.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

I am continually impressed with your triumph Kev! Looks really good at 2mm. Question I have is how much would you charge to come tune in my Thunder machine like that

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I'm not afraid to do something for nothing

From my Triumph just now--

Wood is a piece of 1/4" maple sitting under the machine-
    Font is plain Arial
    Speed=400mm/s, power on the light was 12% which just grazed it- I had to go over the bottom 3 lines a second time-- deeper cut done at 25% power
    gap/res setting: .05mm (equates to 508 lines per inch)
    Just used my 2" lens, could've maybe gotten a bit better with the 1.5"...

My poor old Sony F707 just doesn't like to focus like it used to

trimaple3.jpgtrimaple1.jpgtrimaple2.jpg
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

15. Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I tried 1 and 2 mm on some poplar and the 1 mm you can not see and the 2 mm is barely readable due to its size. If I use a magnifier I can read both
    Thanks Jerome! To clarify, the 2mm is barely readable due to size but not due to lack of detail? Did the letters look fairly clean (like on this photo)...

IMG_6515.JPG