So I'm going to be making a little box for a loved one, which will be just large enough to hold 4/6 photos (laying flat). I was thinking I would make something simple, but elegant. Hand cut dove tails and hinged lid, with a small half-mortise lock.

And so, I'm here for suggestions. I'm more than capable of making a box, but I'd like suggestions, tips, advice etc anyhow, because this project is on the highest order of special there is. If I'm being honest(and I always am), I'd tell you that I haven't worked very many woods. Walnut, Cherry, Mahogany, Oak, Poplar, Ash, Maple - all the usual suspects. While I'm not opposed to just using my go-to, Walnut, this project is a big enough deal that I'm entertaining something more "top shelf".

What wood works well? I don't want anything that flakes and breaks, because of how I'm constructing this, especially due to having to mortise out for the lock and such. I'm very open minded, so light, dark, medium, brown, red, purple, whatever will do. I just want to get some ideas on what some of you might use for something like this. Also, as I mentioned before, please share any design ideas,you've used with success. I know a box is a simple thing to make, but there are thousands of designs, and when it all comes down to it, I'm actually quite a novice despite some of the nice furniture I've built for my home.

Thanks in advance!