Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me your experience with G0766

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I had to change out the speed pot on mine and some times I have to unplug the machine to get the spindle to turn on the first startup of the day seams to work fine ifit has run for awhile. But I dont think I could have gotten a better lathe in the price range I could spend, so far I love it.

I guess that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and spend the money. Beats $5-6,000 for some of the others. Thanks for all your input.

I ordered my G0766 in May 2015, but told Grizzly not to deliver until I had made my move to a different house. During the time from order to delivery, the short banjo cropped up (with a tool post stop also being too tall). I fired off a letter to their Customer Service with attention to "Papa Grizzly" stating that I wanted the banjo shortfall issue addressed, and to have my unit opened and inspected for transport damage. As a result, the subsequent re-designed banjos were manufactured and shipped out to all early purchasers, and my unit arrived in very good condition on August 16th, 2015. I have turned maybe 10 bowls up to 16" diameter and a few platters and lots of small vessels. I did experience a defective speed pot, which was very quickly sent out, as well as touch up paint, and spindle and bearing (pre-emptive strike). It's a joy, and their Customer Service is very efficient. My regrets are: every time I go past that darned thing I feel compelled to turn a piece of wood, and now other hobbies are falling to the wayside. I hope you enjoy your new machine as much as I do.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I too am ready to upgrade from my Nova 16-24, however I'm not in a big rush. Does Grizzly ever offer discounts or free shipping? If so, I can patiently wait to save a few $$$'s.

Get on their catalog email list, and occasionally there is a $25 off coupon code for shipping. Fine woodworking magazine has had other discounts, only once per year is what I've been told.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Early adopter here. Dealt with the wrinkles (live center, banjo, pot) and am still very happy. Customer service was excellent through it all.

With the savings, I was also able to add a 17" bandsaw, coring rig, vac chuck, and lots of nice tools. In my case, I would not have acquired all the other items if I went a different route.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Passmore View Post
    I too am ready to upgrade from my Nova 16-24, however I'm not in a big rush. Does Grizzly ever offer discounts or free shipping? If so, I can patiently wait to save a few $$$'s.
    There is a coupon for 10% off orders of $200 or more placed before 10/31/2016 on the October edition of Woodworkers Journal I received in the mail. I doubt that I use it at this point. If you would like it, please let me know and I'll send you the code.

Jay-----that would be wonderful. You can text me at (765) 546-2961
    THANKS!

How would fill in you purchased a new grizzly lathe in November. it is January 16 and it is still not working due to missing parts?

I'm not sure if I understood your first sentence.

But I found Griz to eventually make me a happy camper. And the lathe has worked well for at least 4 years and still going strong.

Did you receive the lathe with parts missing? If so, what was missing? Or was something defective and needed to be replaced. Did you post because you wanted some advice or did you post because of your frustration with having missing parts?

This is an old thread..... Anyway, I've had my G0766 for about 2 years now. Couldn't be happier. Does what it's supposed to do. No issues thus far.

12. I wonder if Ben's lathe is the G0766 or another model? Grizzly will do right by him, if he calls customer service, and the unit is under warranty. If he got a used lathe from someone [not saying that is the case] but if so, then Grizzly will help him with parts, but he would have to pay for the needed parts.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I had mine about 18 months and it's been a good one. I'm still happy with my purchase. With 22" of swing and 3 hp, I don't have to worry about running out of capacity with anything I'll attempt.

i Bought a shop fox 22 x 42 on November 10 th. It arrived about i week later and the crate was busted open and many parts missing, drive and tail centers, feet and many others. The major part missing was the complete banjo. I called and they said they would send missing parts 2 parts had to be ordered from China. Jump to January 11 2021 parts arrived the banjo was disassembled and the steel shaft that you tighten was about 5" too short. I called Grizzly and told them about the short shaft.Now I am told they had to order from China again and they hope it will be in a shipment on February 11 2021 if not in that shipment the next shipment will be on February 28 2021. Without that one part the Lathe is USELESS! 4 months seems a little excessive for a lathe i paid for the first of November.
    I wish I had bought something from another manufacture.

Powermatic has a 10% off promotion going on now. That is, Craft Supplies USA will give you a $450 gift card when you buy the Powermatic 3520C at its $4,500 price.
    Last edited by David Walser; 01-18-2021 at 2:01 PM.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona