Thread: epoxy

epoxy

Where is the best place to buy epoxy and the most reasonable? Byron

For epoxy finish or for voids? I assume wood.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

If using for voids I get Loctite General purpose epoxy at of all places Walmart Cheap. I have also used Bondo brand fiberglass resin with black pigment.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Byron

There are many kinds of resin, with and without fillers, and many kinds of hardeners, so it depends on your objective. Epoxy is useful as an adhesive, a filler and as a finish. In general, I think slower set (30 minute or more) is better as an adhesive for wood.

For years I used the double syringe kind from the local hardware store. Pretty much single use because the hardener usually contaminated the resin and the leftover resin set up in the syringe. I recently bought some West system epoxy with pumps. It reportedly does not spoil with age, so it's available whenever I need it. I find that I use it a bit more frequently now. I make wooden mugs and bought some Max Clr because it is claimed to be food safe. It also seems to be odorless after it cures.

So, you can buy it from your local hardware store, Lee Valley, Rockler, Amazon. I'm not trying to be flippant. People here can give more useful advice if you ask a more specific question.

Doug

I have been using 2 part epoxy that comes in plastic bottles from 2oz and up. I use it to fill worm holes and voids and i mix it with crusted charchol and various other
    types or filler. Byron

In my area, HobbyTown has the best selection and prices. They have 5, 15, and 30 minute cure times to choose from. 4 1/2 oz is $10 with discounts for larger bottles. They also have the best local price for CA glues.

Steve

I have had good luck with Bob Smith epoxy on Amazon. Tried it for the low price and have had no problems.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I use the Bob Smith epoxy as it's easy to get at the the local KMS store. I was questioned one time on a projec about it being food safe so I emailed the company. They came back and said after it cures, it is food safe if not heated above 180 deg F.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

+1 on the Bob Smith epoxy. I bought a cheap digital scale and small plastic pill cups to measure and mix.

I've always used Jewelry/Lapidary Grade - Hughes Labs Epoxy 330 Water Clear. Takes a long time to harden (24 hours) but crystal clear and permanent. I purchase 4 oz. bottles of each 20 years ago, and it's still good to use.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I wish I could find the old Elmer's epoxy they sold everywhere in the 60s and 70s. I guess I am old. It took 24 hours to dry so you had working time and the color was a clear brown which matched wood well for filling cracks. It was readily available at the local discount stores. The only ones I can find now is 5 minute drying time which is too short and bad colors which does not match wood I want to use it on.