Thread: Getting into RVing???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Jamatt is just an hour south of you in Poteau, OK. They have more RV's than you can shake a stick at. I drive by there often and my shoulders would be shot if I shook a stick at all of them.
    Do they even carry motor homes? Their adds on TV seem to imply they only carry travel trailers.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Do they even carry motor homes? Their adds on TV seem to imply they only carry travel trailers.
    I guess you're right. I never paid attention to that. Sorry for the misdirect.
    -Lud

I agree about the diesel suggestion...the fuel economy for a gasser will be, um..."eye opening"...even with today's more efficient setups. It's a lot of work moving an RV around due to both the weight and the "aerodynamics of a brick".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I agree about the diesel suggestion...the fuel economy for a gasser will be, um..."eye opening"...even with today's more efficient setups. It's a lot of work moving an RV around due to both the weight and the "aerodynamics of a brick".

Jim,
    If other owners are to be believed this one gets between 8-10mpg. I don't think that's too bad for a motor home.. At least its not gallons per mile!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I traveled the country and windsurfed for 10 years. I was single and slept in a van to keep costs down. I met a lot of windsurfers with small and large RV's.

In Texas we all admired a wealthy guy who had a new top of the line large RV until I got to talk with him. He was missing a lot of good windy days on the water. He told me had to go to the service center 50 miles away from our beach/campground to get his fridge fixed under warranty. Then his AC. Then his water heater.

He was an old farmer and knew a lot about fixing things, but it was under warranty. Just like John said an RV has all a house has or more and it vibrates and bounces around. All the stuff that needs service is in tight spaces.

Here's what I'd try Larry. Do 2 trial runs. Rent an RV for a week and take a trip. Then take a trip in your car and stay in motels. Make detailed notes on costs and hassles vs fun.

See what method offers the most freedom.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Jim,
    If other owners are to be believed this one gets between 8-10mpg. I don't think that's too bad for a motor home.. At least its not gallons per mile!
    Yea, that's a lot better than back when the 'rents had one...but if diesel is available, it's worth at least checking out.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,
    I was talking with a guy this morning that owns a gas powered RV. He scoffed at the 8-10 MPG. He said more like 6-7 MPG. V8 Chevy engine in his. I didn't ask the displacement.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.