Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop is ready [and empty] - what's next?

Shop is ready [and empty] - what's next?

Hi all,

My first shop is finally ready to move-in. At this point I have basic hand tools (not woodworking specific), a SCMS, and an empty canvas. I stubbed out two 1" EMTs out the top of the panel (at the ceiling) so that I can have flexibility with power drops.

I'd like to get started with woodworking and am trying to determine the best way to get started.

My list as of now includes:
    Sawstop table saw - undecided between a PCS or ICS - 3hp?
    Planer - seems like Dewalt portable is recommended and not super expensive
    Jointer - seems like everyone recommends an 8" minimum - maybe a Grizzly?
    Dust collector - undecided
    Some kind of bench
    Some organization

So, my question is: If you were to start over, and had what's shown in the pictures here, how would you proceed?

IMG_1642.jpgIMG_1643.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-01-2017 at 2:42 PM. Reason: removed dimensions per request by OP

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Olson View Post
    So, my question is: If you were to start over, and had what's shown in the pictures here, how would you proceed?
    Trim the doors and windows...

I think it might be best to approach each item/area individually. People aren't often interested in writing a book to respond.

Some basics from my point of view. For DC I would get a cyclone either a Oneida or Clearvue along with an ambeint air cleaner. I would get the ICS BUT I would go the PCS and get a better planer if the budget cals for it. While the Dewalt is an excellent protable planer if money permits (space isn't an issue) move up to a "real" planer. IMO the best bang for the buck in high quality jointing and planing would be a combo machine from Hammer or Minimax. While you aren't short of space it still gets you a high quality planer and a wide jointer, opt for a insert head as well if possible (whether or not you go the combo route). Add to that a good drill press and bandsaw and you have the bones of the machine side. You will need storage, work bench(es), hand power tools, probably a router table. The list is just too long to approach in a single post.

Honestly, it is time to simply devour all the tons of threads on each one of your potential purchases.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Me? Three words: lathe, lathe, and lathe. And more light. And an sound-insulated closet for the cyclone dust collector and air compressor.

It all depends on what you want to do. Make kitchen cabinets, fine furniture, bowls and christmas ornaments, chairs made with hand tools, just tinker? In my shop I have woodworking, wood turning, carving, photography, honey processing, weld shop, little machine shop, vehicle maintenance, wood storage, animal care, electronics bench, library and office. If I did it all over I'd put in a bathroom and small kitchen, something I plan to add on some day.

One other fun thing I did with my shop before I filled it to the brim with "stuff": flew miniature quadcopters and helicopters around in the big open space! Takes more skill now.

JKJ

I knew this was pretty open ended before I hit post, but the whole process is a little overwhelming, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Thanks for the feedback that you both provided thus far.

I knew this was pretty open ended before I hit post, but the whole process is a little overwhelming, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Thanks for the feedback that you both provided thus far.
    I get where you are coming from, it is nice to have a "road map" the problem is everyones destination is different.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I just did this over the last 2+ years with half of a 30x60. My approach was as non-linear as it gets because I was (and still am) short on cash. I got everything used off of Craigslist and auctions.

if I were to start over and buy whatever I wanted I'd go with a Sawstop, 8" jointer and 15"-20" planer, both with insert heads. I'd have a cyclone ordered and on its way, most likely a Clearview.
    Last edited by Eric Rimel; 10-28-2016 at 6:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    You have to ask a specific question to get a specific answer otherwise you get everyone's else's shop preferences.

#1 You need a work bench unless you like to work on the floor. Unless you are buying one you need to start there with what you need to make it and where you will put the things after you are done making it like tools,screws,etc....

#2 Don't buy stuff because you "think" you might need it.

General air flow direction and the ability to control it....in several critical areas,volume,temp,velocity,etc...should be the first consideration.Take a shovel full of sawdust(if you were closer,I'd give you all you want,haha) and throw it in any specific area of concern.Turn your lights off,take a maglight(flashlight) and watch the particulate movement.This needs to be predictable and repeatable.How well you manage the flow is going to define your work stations.A clue,inside corners are dead zones...but that isn't necessarily bad....point in fact,it's somewhat more predictable than out in the main current of air.Good luck with your project.

There are a few steps you need to take to ... answer your own questions

• What kind of wood working do you intend to do in your shop? (project types, sizes, etc.)
    • What kind of workflow do you expect/want so that you can do things most efficiently for ... you? This directly affects how you lay out your shop physically and given the space, delineating areas for power tool work, assembly and hand tool work, and finishing is important to consider
    • What kind of budget to you have to equip your shop?
    • Will you be buying everything or will you be building non-tool accommodations, such as storage, work surfaces, etc.?

In general, a power-tool oriented shop is typically going to have a table saw, jointer and planer at the core of material preparation. In addition to that "core" of power equipment, there are other things that many folks find useful and even important, based on their individual needs...band saw, lathe, drill press, etc. The kinds of projects you intend to do and the type of materials you intend to use will greatly influence what your choices should be/will be. For example, for solid stock, I prefer working with wider material. Therefore, I need to account for that in a jointer (for flattening stock) as well as a thickness planer. That's my personal need. Yours might be different. When it comes to investing in tools, "too small" will cost you money over time because of the necessary replacement down the road. Clearly, sometimes needs change and budget has an impact. Pre-owned tools can sometimes help with that. And how you arrange these tools in your shop directly affects workflow. There are tons of threads to explore in the General Woodworking and Power Tools area of this forum site that should be helpful to you and I encourage you to ask more questions on these things there as they come to you.

The one thing that gets discussed here in Workshops is dust collection and other "installed" things like compressed are systems and shop electrical. Of all the tools you'll buy, dust collection is THE most important because it's critical to your personal health. There are many threads on this topic that you'll find helpful to arrange more specific questions to narrow down what's best for you. In general, however, "do it right the first time" if you can...trust me, it's a pain to switch out an installed dust collection system if it's undersized, etc.

BTW, that's a very nice space you've created there! I'm hoping that gleaming floor is "non-slip", however...sawdust happens.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you for all of the replies, and thank you Jim for the helpful advice. I have been reading this forum for quite some time while I have been "completing" the shop over the last year. Now that it's ready for organization, benches, and tools, it's starting to feel a bit overwhelming.

I did use the aluminum oxide as part of the clear coat process on the epoxy floor, so it is fairly "non-skid."

To do any woodworking involving machinery you need dust collection, that is the start point and the only two worth considering is either an Oneida or a Clearvue and duct it externally if you can with no filters, climate prevents this though in a lot of cases. Get the DE sitting in place without worrying about ducting at that stage and THEN look at what it will connect too. if it were my shop the dust extractor would be the first thing in the door.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    To do any woodworking involving machinery you need dust collection, that is the start point and the only two worth considering is either an Oneida or a Clearvue and duct it externally if you can with no filters, climate prevents this though in a lot of cases. Get the DE sitting in place without worrying about ducting at that stage and THEN look at what it will connect too. if it were my shop the dust extractor would be the first thing in the door.
    Thanks Chris, very helpful. The shop is adjoining a garage on one wall, so I could place the DC in the garage on the other side of the wall if necessary.

What advantage would that provide?

Get it outside the workshop if you can as it stops any possibility of recirculating the dust through leaks etc and using a cyclone also means that handling dusty bags does not become an issue as well. Every bag style dust collector ever made leaks fine fine dust with no exception unless steps have been taken to prevent it doing so.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

There is one thing I would do first. And that is put in a wooden floor. Just PT sleepers and three-quarter inch plywood will do fine.You have nothing in there to move around so now is the time to do it. My two previous shops had wooden floors and they were wonderful. I'm now working on concrete and I have already damaged two plane blades by dropping them on the floor. That doesn't happen on a wooden floor. And my feet feel it bad. You can run power underneath the floor and have outlets in the middle. Otherwise you could have some cords strung all over your floor and it's a pain to sweep with those cords on the floor. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Robin Frierson; 10-29-2016 at 7:13 AM.

You have a nice space and a blank slate.

Here's what I would do:

First machines: TS and dust collector. My philosophy on tools is buy the best you can afford. Ideally, make it the last saw you will buy so that means a 3HP major brand cabinet style saw. If you are a novice ww'er or very concerned about safety, then go with the SS. Personally I have a Jet Xacta and think it is quite good. Your first project with that saw should be an outfeed table. I would start out with a low cost portable dust collector and wait till you get your shop going to think about a ducted system.

Second, a workbench. I would start with a general use type bench, the idea being dual purpose as an assembly table. (Save your "ultimate" ww'ing bench for later.) This bench should have a vise and dog holes for holdfasts.

Third (actually probably second) some hand tools: a #4 hand plane, a set of chisels, a couple hand saws, mallet, marking gauges, measuring, marking, etc etc. I STRONGLY recommend you focus on developing hand tool skills right from the start.

You will need some hand power tools (cordless drill/driver, etc. for what comes next: the shop).

When you start out, the shop itself will be your project focus. Use this opportunity to start building skills. You will be building lots of cabinets and shelves so your focus will be sheet goods. You will have to decide how you want to build your cabs (big fan of frameless ;-) and you will want to look into a track saw or some type of circular saw guide to break the sheet goods down.

As far as machines, that's hard to determine and depends on what you're doing. I would not buy a machine you don't see an immediate need for in a project.

You will very soon want to look at milling machines (jointer/planer). I think an 8" jointer and 15" planer is a good starting point and will see 90% of your needs.

I'm sure I've left a lot out. Plenty of time to research andsaws, router tables, drill presses, anders, etc etc etc.......

Oh, and with that TS you should be a good respirator.

[edit]And also - I ran all my electrics externally in conduit. This way you put your machines where you want and run electrics later.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 10-29-2016 at 7:56 AM.