Thread: what dye do you use with your epoxy?

what dye do you use with your epoxy?

I need to fill in some cracks in spalted maple. I like the way the black epoxy looks but Transtint looks too expensive. Looks like most use west systems epoxy but what dye do you use? Thx

Transtint. Considering how much work you have in the table, and how much you've already spent on materials, don't get too involved in trying to save ten bucks.

I have a jar of 34 year old Folgers Crystals instant coffee. I crush the crystals and mix them with the epoxy. It works well for me.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I wonder if India Ink would work? You can buy small bottles at art supply stores.

Though I'm quite intrigued by Ken's approach.....
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I just tinted some epoxy black to join the pieces of soapstone for our kitchen countertop. My research for tinting that black led me to mixol tints. I bought the little jar at woodcraft for about $5.00 but I think hobby stores would have it as well.

i also used the system six epoxy in the caulk tube. Just squeezed a little bit onto a board, dropped in some tint and mixed it up and applied it with the plastic spreaders.

Here is an interesting article about tinting epoxy resin.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/adding-pigments-to-epoxy/

I recently used artist paint - the stuff in the tube. I think its acrylic paint.

I thought the same thing a few years ago. I finally bought a 2 oz bottle of black transtint and now four years later still have about 80percent. It's a very cost effective investment if you ask me because a little goes so far. you can also use it to darken finishes - just about any finish - with it.

I use a powder dye that would normally be mixed with water. I just put the powder in the epoxy. I don't remember who makes it right now.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.