Thread: looking for a lathe for my bowl making 13yo...old or new?

looking for a lathe for my bowl making 13yo...old or new?

Hello everyone!
    My son started making things on a spring pole lathe we built years ago. We eventually graduated to a bench-top lathe run by a washing machine motor, then on to a ShopSmith. We have moved to Chicago, sold the ShopSmith, and most importantly he lost his mentor. I think we may have found a mentor, but now need a lathe.

We have more time and energy than $$ and he loves old things. I have rebuilt car motors, so are not afraid of a project. He would love any of these:

All of these would need work...basic TLC, plus swapping in a treadmill motor plus variable speed control OR a jack pulley system as he needs the lathe to go pretty slowly as he mostly turns bowls (see photo).

Another option would be to go new with something like a Nova Comet II or a Delta 46-60.
    I would also like to be able to turn rolling pins so ideally we'd have length up to ~20", adding an extension to a midi.

And finally we could buy a Harbor Freight lathe then immediately modify to get the speed down.

We have been told to look for ~300rpm minimum, ~1hp and a reputable brand. Luckily we have a good grinding set up, face shield, tools etc.

What do you recommend we do?

All recommendations very much appreciated!
    Randy

bowl.jpg

No expert here but I would be all over the Yates American. Find a 3 phase motor and get a VFD for it and you will have exactly what you want. RPM's from Zero to full motor rating.
    chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/5893804241.html

Well, I prefer the old stuff and will recommend it.

$425 is way too much for the Rockwell. Around here those go for about $150.
    the Yates would be my pick. Assuming it's in good shape, this will out perform most modern Midi lathes...for another 50 years. 😀

Same here...no expert but I'd be all over the Delta. Looks like one that used to be in school shops all over the U.S. They took a lot of abuse but rarely anything serious.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

You cannot get the HF down below 500 rpm. I started on that lathe, and turned bowls on it, but I also was able to bandsaw stock round and used largely dry wood. It is a functional lathe for the money, but the Yates or Delta would work better for your needs and budget.

Thanks so much for the replies everyone! I will be taking a look at that Yates!

Not responsive to question that was asked but if you live in the Chicago area look into joining the Chicago Woodturners Club http://chicagowoodturners.com/

The club may have leads on used lathes as well that you may not have to work on. I don't like working on my tools.....

robo hippy