Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Post a picture of work made using Hand Tools.

Believed or not she makes all kind of rubber stamps (lots of teachers are buying from her via Etsy). She cut and engrave them with a laser. The stamps are about 3/8" thick and she wanted to be able to stack 3 of them.

Normand

OK. Glad to hear it because I did not want to say - "Gosh Norman, kind of looks like one of those machinest's chests only better" if it was for underwear/socks/scarves/etc. Where did you source the handles?
    David

My father was a machinist and I still have his chest. My daughter wanted something similar.
    Handles are from LeeValley.

Normand

Nice,that's one of those things that everybody wants. And decades from now if it's on Ebay it will be "rare ,possibly one of a kind custom ordered GERSTNER chest"....so put your name and claim on it in several places!

Blog Entries
    The stamps are about 3/8" thick and she wanted to be able to stack 3 of them.
    On first sight my thought was your daughter is an architect and needed storage for drawings or maybe she worked with stained glass.

Very nice chest of drawers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,
    Many years back she draw this post card and she sells a large number of them each year (+ many other ones now). Most Canadian Parks have that card for sale. For now she still have a regular job but between stamps and post cards it's getting to be a fair business. She's an artist!
    moose.jpg

Merry Christmas to all,
    Normand

Quote Originally Posted by Normand Leblanc View Post
    A ten drawers chest for my daughter. All hand tools made of cherry. All brass was bought at LeeValley.
    Attachment 350044Attachment 350045Attachment 350046
    I'm pretty sure I need to make one of these. Can you post a picture of the interior that illustrates how you handled the drawer slides?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Very nice work Normand! I like your use of NK drawers.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Rob,

I've used Russian birch plywood for the bottom of the drawers and the slides. Slides have been glued for 2-3" near the front and then nailed. My father machinist chest was done like that and it's still working fine after 50+ years. A divider was used for locating each slide position and the drawer fronts were made slightly higher than required. All I had to do is plane down one by one those fronts for a perfect fit.

IMG_4863.jpgIMG_4865.jpgIMG_4868.jpg

Brian,
    I had to do some research to find what NK stand for..."which are the initials of a Swedish store Nordiska Kompaniet". Thanks.

Normand

Quote Originally Posted by Normand Leblanc View Post
    Jim,
    Many years back she draw this post card and she sells a large number of them each year (+ many other ones now). Most Canadian Parks have that card for sale. For now she still have a regular job but between stamps and post cards it's getting to be a fair business. She's an artist!
    moose.jpg

Merry Christmas to all,
    Normand
    I`ve certainly seen that card and the others in our park stores Normand. Nice to make the connection. Your daughter has talent, like her father!

Here's one of my hand-tool projects.

It's a linenfold panel chest, made of white pine (because that's what I had lots of) and finished with shellac. I used a couple of rebate planes, hollows & rounds, jack, jointer, smoother, and badger planes. Four carving chisels for the ends of the linenfold. I made the panels initially as a set of samples for a demo/lecture on linenfold carving. Each end of each panel was completed to a different stage, as examples. The panels were buried in the shop under a pile of junk on the tablesaur for years (It's SWMBO's saw, not mine, and it gets used about once every 5 years) until I needed a box for our kitchen gear at the Pennsic War.

linenfold_chest.JPG

If I was to make another it would be birch or cherry, something that carves a bit easier then pine. Pine is just too soft, it was a serious challenge to my sharpening skills to cut that stuff without making a hash of it.

Darrell
    Merry Christmas to all!
    Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

Linenfold! Bet it is the only one around for quite a distance! It's a form I always associate with riven oak and dark color but that is a nice cheerful and useful interpretation. And that particular carving design seems to have unusually high relief.

My downstairs bathroom for some reason does not have any baseboard. The rest of the house has a baseboard with a very simple profile, and with some time off for Christmas I am making some up so we can install it and make the bathroom look a little nicer. Here is a picture of a couple of the lengths I made this afternoon, with the tools used.

IMG_0268.JPG

The profile is 1/2" x 3", with the top 1/2 inch or so rounded off sort of like a quarter round. I started with a length of 1 x 3 from Home Depot. After marking the profile on the stock, I use a block plane to bevel the edge, removing much of the waste, then a round to cut it to final dimension. For some reason it seems to come out best when I use a slightly larger round for the final passes, hence the two rounds even though what I am making is basically a glorified piece of quarter round. Then it is just a matter of marking the backside of the stock, and thinning to 1/2" thick with the jack.

Hardly the world's most complicated project, and far short of what many folks have posted. Interesting and enjoyable though.

Blog Entries
    Got a new wood block print, old but new to me. Made a frame for it in AYC;

That made my hodgepodge-slapdash straightedge holder look pretty ugly.

I was very proud of myself, but my wife suggested that I get back to productive work straight away.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Built two Bent arm Morris chairs.Maple and Walnut. Hand tools only.

Last edited by Les Groeller; 01-01-2017 at 2:16 PM. Reason: Trying to load pic.