Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting sawstop blade to 90 degress

Setting sawstop blade to 90 degress

I have a 10" contractors sawstop. I can only get the blade to 90.1 degree to the table. Any suggestions on how to remedy this little problem?

Blog Entries
    There is probably saw dust on the threads of the tilt adjusting rod or the stops need adjusting. The owners manual tells how to do this.
    Capture.JPG
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-24-2016 at 4:33 PM. Reason: wrong saw
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I only wish the SS jobsite saw was that easy. It requires you to reach in under the table, from the rear, and use a 4mm hex key. Not fun.

Also, 90.1 sounds pretty good to me. I have one of the Wixey angle gauges which never agrees with itself twice.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Fred, how are you measuring 90.1? I would not trust a consumer level digital tilt gage to .1 accuracy. I always use a precision square to set 90.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

What Bruce said. I bought the Wixey with the idea that I would place it on the blade and watch the readout as I adjusted the angle. Nope. I could visually see the blade going in and out of square while the readout stayed the same.

Another one of my great ideas bites the dust. And, like I said, the readings aren't repeatable enough to know when or if it's ever right.

Yea if youre using a digital gauge, ditch it and get a good quality fixed machinist square.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Lee, I could have sworn that the original graphic you posted was for the SawStop Contractor saw. What I see now is for their Jobsite saw, the saw that I have. It looked like the blade for the Contractor saw is adjusted from above the table?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    There is probably saw dust on the threads of the tilt adjusting rod or the stops need adjusting. The owners manual tells how to do this.
    Capture.JPG

I always check mine with a good quality combination square and look for light between it and the saw blade.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Right after I posted it I realized he had a different saw.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You could confirm your square accuracy by checking both sides of the blade....... you catching on?

Actually, you had it right the first time, if like he says, he has the Contractor saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Right after I posted it I realized he had a different saw.

Blog Entries
    Capture.JPGWell, here's the other information on the contractor saw.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    What Bruce said. I bought the Wixey with the idea that I would place it on the blade and watch the readout as I adjusted the angle. Nope. I could visually see the blade going in and out of square while the readout stayed the same.

Another one of my great ideas bites the dust. And, like I said, the readings aren't repeatable enough to know when or if it's ever right.

I like to test for 90 by taking a piece of scrap (square and true, preferably 1 1/2" thick) and cutting a hunk off the end. Then I'll take the offcut, flip it over, and abut it to the freshly cut end of the other piece while on the saw table. If the blade is at 90, those pieces will line up perfectly. If it is out of alignment you'll see a gap on the top or bottom. If that's the case, adjust the blade and repeat.

I keep one of these at my saw (LINK) to check 90 and 45 every time I reset the blade. I have the Wixey there too but I seem to get more accurate and repeatable 90s and 45s with the triangle.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

That's a One-Time Tool I'm sorry I missed. I want one!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    I keep one of these at my saw (LINK) to check 90 and 45 every time I reset the blade. I have the Wixey there too but I seem to get more accurate and repeatable 90s and 45s with the triangle.