Thread: How to round over the end of dowels?

Question How to round over the end of dowels?

What is the best way to round over the end of a 3/4" dowell? I have a few dozen to do.

I have seen pictures of dowel ballers but can not fine one. Is there a place to get one or another technique to round over dowels?

I would use my router with a 3/8 round over bit. Drill a 3/4" hole in a piece of 2x4. Drill another clearance hole for the router bit. Clamp to your router table and adjust to get the roundover.
    Joe

I use a disc sander, if you have one. Might not be the "best" way though. If you do and want perfection you'll need a steady hand and a keen eye. Otherwise it's pretty easy to get "nearly round".

Hold/fix on end; use 3/8" round over.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bradshaw View Post
    I would use my router with a 3/8 round over bit. Drill a 3/4" hole in a piece of 2x4. Drill another clearance hole for the router bit. Clamp to your router table and adjust to get the roundover.
    Joe
    This is the best and easiest way. Gives a perfect roundover. Especially if you have a bunch to do.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Picture borrowed from another forum

dowel roundover jig.jpg