Thread: Wagner Power Painter...

Wagner Power Painter...

worth having? Seems I've heard the least expensive models are not worth owning. I have a small project to do now, and a house due painting next spring. Your opinions will be helpful.

Thanks

Is this the Wagner Power spray or roller unit you want to know about?

I have a wagner power roller and it works pretty good. The only gripe I have with it is that it gets the job I want done in 20 minutes and then I spend the next 45 minutes cleaning it. I've pretty much given up on using it for all but the biggest jobs.

Andy, I bought the Wagner WideShot Power Sprayer (about $100) a year or so ago, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. I bought it to spray the walls and "popcorn" textured ceiling in a bedroom of LOML's previous house. After a couple sessions in the room with clouds of latex paint mist (I was dressed appropriately and the floor was masked off), I still ended up using a long-nap roller to get the ceiling covered. Granted, I don't think the gun was designed to paint overhead, and I may have not had the paint properly thinned, but I was unhappy with the results. Plus, as Steven experienced with his power roller, it still took forever to clean up the whole system. On top of all this, the thing is NOISY. You'd most definitely want to wear hearing protection if you were using it indoors. The cheap sprayer might be the ticket for spraying a picket fence, and it did OK on the walls, but by the time I masked the room off, covered myself from head to toe in protective gear, and cleaned up afterwards, I pretty much could have rolled and trimmed the room out neander-style. My $0.02 - - Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    Plus, as Steven experienced with his power roller, it still took forever to clean up the whole system. On top of all this, the thing is NOISY. You'd most definitely want to wear hearing protection if you were using it indoors.
    Second both of those comments. I had the original version of the roller system back in the late 70's, returned it after one of the hose fittings split. The sprayer I tried a couple years ago never got any paint through it: fired it up once dry and decided the dog and the neighbors didn't need the aggravation.

I bought one to get my peevious house ready for sale and used it to paint the entire house. It did svae me a lot of time but was a PIA to clean. The next time I went to use it a few years later the motor went out and I chucked it. It served it purpose but I wouldn't buy another.

I bought the unit with a backpack to paint my house. Finished the job in less than half the time it took with a brush. I didn't have any problems with it.

Save your money!

We bought the newer Power Roller to get our house ready for sale. It was such a PITA to clean afterward (time and mess) that I went to the HD and got a $4 roller with a splatter guard.

Took about the same time to paint with the cheapie but afterward, just threw out the roller cover (bought some extra cheapy covers) and that was the cleanup.

We left the roller with the old house.

Waste of money and effort.

Not for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Haney
    worth having? Seems I've heard the least expensive models are not worth owning. I have a small project to do now, and a house due painting next spring. Your opinions will be helpful.

Thanks
    If you're painting your house, do two things. Buy the best paint from a real paint store and use a roller and brush. It's what real pros do, Andy.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Thanks for the feedback guys. Brush and roller it is!