I built this really cute little table and chair set for my 1.5 year old Granddaughter for this last Christmas. When she saw it under the tree pretty much everything else got ignored. Giant happy dance by Grampy. Then comes the epic fail. After about a week the table top looked awful and the tops of the backs had "finger prints" in the finish.

I made the whole thing out of Baltic Birch and finished it with multiple coats (6 or 7) of rattle can lacquer (no stain) in my "heated" garage. About 60 degrees F. Waited the twenty minutes between coats the directions implied and the prior coats all felt "dry" not tacky at all. It was a last minute project of course but the table and chairs had 24 hours in the house before the little one got to it. My plan is to wait for warmer weather, sand it all down and start again.

Three questions: I'm guessing the lacquer needed more time to cure. Does that seem likely cause? Secondly is lacquer just not durable enough? And lastly should I go with a poly finish instead after I sand it all down?