Thread: miter set for segments

miter set for segments

I have been wanting too get into doing segmenting turning and I know you can build your own sled and it actually doesn't look very hard on the you tube videos I have been watching,,but I seen one on the miter set and it looks like a no brainer ,,the simplicy of it and not having to build one,,and I checked,,they are 69.95,,,if they do as good as the miter sleds it would be a no brainer as to buying one,,if you figure your time and material plus having to go get the material,,i cant see how you would come out ahead unless they are more advantages to building your own,,can anyone tell me if they have one and what do you think about it,,

Well, I did settle the sled question for myself before the "segeasy" wedge wave swept the nation so I have never used one. I started out trying to use a chopsaw and could never get my cutting tray accurate enough so I made my own table saw sled instead. The one I made was fixed for 15-degrees as I just did not trust the repeatability of an adjustable homemade wooden sled. Through luck or skill, the sled I made was pretty darn close to perfectly accurate and I made several pieces using this sled.

Alas, when it came time to start using different numbers of segments and for playing around with open segmenting, I was left in a position of having to make more sleds (and the storage nightmare inherent to having several sleds). I finally just broke down and bought an Incra 5000 sled. This had the added benefit of replacing my homemade cross cut sled as well. I just use a stopper block clamped by my fence to control segment length. The 5000 is not cheap, but there are cheaper Incra products as well.

Another adjustment I made is that I switch out the 10" blade on my saw for a circular saw blade (usually a Diablo 7 1/4" 60-tooth) and I get very smooth, thin-kerfed cuts. Obviously, using a smaller blade on a table saw lowers your available cutting depth, but it is more than enough to make it through the width of the sled plus surfaced 4/4 wood.
    Last edited by Justin Stephen; 01-22-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Have you been happy with the miter set? I am looking at getting one. What problems have you had? Is there a way to cut stays with the miter set? Thanks Larry

I purchased both(discount to buy both) Miterset standard and segments. I've not used the standard yet, but I have used the segments. What few time I've used it my segments came out perfect. I purchased them because it seemed to be a no brainer for me. It's fast to change and accurate, all I need. Very happy user.

Be sure you read the information at their web site https://miterset.myshopify.com/

"MiterSet is meant to be used with a standard miter gauge. It does not work with some of the large precision gauges from Incra and Kreg."

Jeff,
    I just noticed you're in GSO, I'm about 40 minutes north of you(up220) if you want to see the Miterset in person you are welcome to come look at mine.
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 01-30-2018 at 7:34 AM.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

It's really up to each individual. I have mostly used my miter saw with good results. Usually set it with a digital protractor.

After talking to Jerry Bennett I decided to try the seg-easy system. It's accurate, but more importantly, it's super fast. No need to stop and start the saw (I've worn out two brakes on my miter saw). Also easy to change number of segments. I made a few of my own specialty wedges. I do get a little nub on the edge of the segments sometimes, but that cleans up quick.

Best thing is to try a couple of systems and then make your own decision.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.