Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: decent measuring tools

decent measuring tools

hey guys, total noob here

i posted about the delve square in the other thread, but figured id post here too...

i dont have any precision measuring tools!

i have a ton of money in amazon cards, so id like to shop there...

i was thinking of one of the incra rules (wow, those seem cool! but similar to the delve?), a digital caliper, and some feeler gauges...

what else does a noob woodworker need?

thanks for any advice!

(oh, i should add that i have a digital angle finder...)

Buy a Starrett machinist combination square with a 12" satin chrome rule. It will be your most used layout square, and the best you can buy. You will have it a lifetime and you will be able to leave it to your grandkids. Starrett makes all kinds of tools that are useful for a woodworker. You find these Starrett squares most anywhere, they run about $100 retail. If you like the square, get the center head and the protractor head, they are all useful in the workshop and very high quality. If you go to Ebay you can find them as well but buyer beware. There are also a myriad of measuring tools at Lee Valley as well.

+1 on the Starrett square. They usually can be had on eBay pretty easily and I have bought two that way, however, Eric is correct, always buyer beware on eBay. I would also suggest you get a digital angle gauge, and digital readouts for your power tools where they are available. Also, buy a 12" caliper. It can be used for measuring and marking and setting fences. Also get a cheap dial indicator and magnetic base. All sorts of uses particularly in setting up machines. It may sound like I'm recommending metal shop tools, and I am, but they have myriad uses in woodworking as well.

If you are sticking to Amazon,Incra is great. I have some of there stuff. Rulers, squares, t-rules, saddle squares,compass , combination square, protractor, trammel points,etc, what ever YOU think you will need. You don't have to stick with Incra. Amazon sells woodpeckers, igaging, Starrett, etc. I can't tell you what works fo r you. I have made purchases in the past that didn't work for me.

A good 6 or 8 inch try square is very handy.

For machinist squares, I like the 6 inch size. Since you're starting out get the imperial/metric type.

Starrett is good, as is Mitotoyo.

A good selection of steel rulers in the 6 inch to maybe 36" range is good, once again in metric/imperial.

A marking knife is very handy also..............Regards, Rod.

Anything Starrett, Mitotoyo, Woodpeckers or Incra are all good options.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Squares, of course, but don't forget a precision straight edge.

Blog Entries
    I have Starrett and PEC combo squares; prefer the PEC. You don't have to spend big bucks for decent quality but, you can't cheap out either. My "wouldn't want to do without" list:

36" steel Veritas straight edge for machine setup
    A set of 6", 12", 18", 24" and 36" steel rules that all agree.
    A few 12' left to right reading tape measures that agree with the rules
    Various 4" and 6" double squares (what can I say, I use the heck outta double squares)
    Saddle square
    Bevel gauge
    Setup bars
    Caliper
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Depending on how close you want to get, I'd get Starrett and Mitu. High standards both.
    However, learning how to measure accurately is just as important.

I am a Lufkin fan, only stuff made in Saginaw MI though.

If it was me (and it was actually) I'd buy a good dial caliper over a digital caliper. I don't have long time experience using them but in the last year I've started and the digital caliper which I did buy locally gently used (Mitutoyo) goes on the fritz when there's a lot of humidity in the air. I also bought a dial caliper (new, Mitutoyo) on ebay and it works no matter the weather. I noticed William Ng uses a Mitutoyo dial caliper as well. They are good quality calipers IMO.

You should also get a good quality dial indicator and a machinist/engineer's square.

And what Pat said too. I'm going through the learning curve now but it's sure less frustrating knowing exactly where you're missing and by how much.

PS Now I read everyone posts and I haven't added anything. Oh well. Obviously in agreement with what's already been stated.
    Last edited by Mike Manning; 02-01-2017 at 8:34 PM.

I agree with Mike on the dial vs digital caliper. My digital works fine, but I don't use it that often and the batteries are *always* dead when I do go to use it.

I bought an 8 inch digital caliper from Harbor Freight. It wasn't the cheapest one. I think I gave at least $12 for it. I don't know how long it will last. I use it regularly and I have only had it for 15 years.

One of the most-used measuring tools I have is also one of the cheapest: a General brand 6 inch rule with a pocket clip.
    I use it all the time when I set up then table saw or a router. The pocket clip allows it to be used as a depth gauge, too.
    Mine has 1/32 and 1/64 inch graduations on the front, and a table of decimal equivalents on the back. Other graduations are available, but I find these most useful.
    They're about $3.00, and well worth it.
    Rick

Had digital calipers for years and never had an issue with batteries running flat (typically last for a couple of years) regardless of brand. Have a General and a Mitutoyo. In terms of Incra, very good quality that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Especially if you use one with a fine point pencil (0.5). Woodpeckers measuring tools are good but expensive. If budget is an issue, there are plenty of machinist squares out there for a lot less. Apart from setting up machine tools where you need accuracy (square and flat) most woodworking doesn't need to be measured to a high degree of accuracy. Its more about repeatability and comparative measurement (as witnessed by use of story poles or measuring sticks). You don't need to spend a small fortune.