I have become practically paralyzed (over)analyzing the purchase of one of these 3 machines. I am a hobbyist with a desk job and currently have a 6" Powermatic jointer and 13" dewalt lunchbox planer, both with Byrd heads, so any of these will be light years ahead of what I have or need. Nevertheless, I like to buy things once, be confident with my purchase without regret, and keep them for a long time. Not real keen on switching tools all the time.

I am seeking opinions from people who've seen, used, touched these machines as all I'm able to do is read about them on the internet, look at pics and watch youtube videos. I think I've seen everything 10 times. There's a lot of info on the Hammers but extremely little on MM. So, here are some of my thoughts/questions. Any input is greatly appreciated.

1. Cutterhead - i'm torn between the helix Hammer and the 3 or 4 knife Tersa system on the MM. Because i'm a hobbyist I suspect it may not much matter since I will be using it lightly. I realize the helix is supposedly quieter but i've not seen anything that quantifies that. Furthermore, I wear hearing protection no matter the sound level and don't try to use it after people go to bed. And my dust collector is probably louder than the J/P. As for quality of cut, I can replace the Tersa blades with every project if I want to again since I don't use it much and the cost won't be too much of an issue. Having said all of that, it seems that the Helix is the new standard???

2. Fit/Finish - from what I've read, it seems people tend to believe that the fit/finish is higher on the MM and I assume?? higher on the Elite than the Classic, but again I don't know. I know you can get a lemon with anything but I'd like to steer the other direction if there's a clear path.

3. Fence - Seems like folks have complained over the Hammer fence (is deflection the issue?) compared to the (sturdier?) MM fence. The center mounted Elite fence sure looks nice though i wonder how it will push against the wall when stored. I assume I can just move it to the front of the J/P leaving the back (mostly) flat against the wall. Is there a clear winner here?

4. Tables/Beds - the Hammer lifts up as a single bed as does the FS41 Elite. The FS41 Classic raises up as two beds. Does it really matter to a hobbyist?

5. Blade guard - the Hammer has the Euro version standard which I would like to have, so that adds to the price of either MM which uses the pork chop style which I've seen a number of complaints. Don't know the price but seems like I saw that the MM euro was $200~

6. Motor - seems to be about the same for 1 phase which is what I'll get. Any material difference here?

7. Mobility - the MMs come with a mobility package (mounts to side of body) while I have to pay for the mobility on the Hammer which mounts to the front. Are these worth having as this machine will need to be pushed against a garage wall when not in use. Seems the Hammer version mounts on the front would be nice since it is pushed against a wall. Or should I just plan on buying an after market base?

8. Planer Digital display - the MM elite comes with a "mechanical digital" display but I am not sure what that means. Can't find a picture or video either. The MM 41 classic doesn't come with any digital display nor is it an option. The Hammer can be purchased which I've read is a must.

9.Price - I think I've gotten ok pricing, though on the Hammer I haven't been able to get a "discount" beyond the "sale" price on their website. The MM 41 classic is of course the cheapest, with the Hammer (with the spiral head) being about $400 more than than the MM 41. The MM Elite (which has the 4 head Tersa and about 8" more in bed length and a 2 post planer bed) adds about $1,100 over the Hammer, or $1,500 over the MM FS41.

Price includes shipping for the Hammer but doesn't for the MM as it is about a 2.5 hour drive to Atlanta to pick that up. not sure if that's a wise idea given the weight (shipping is about $350).

Thanks and sorry for the long post.