Thread: Powermatic 72

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Powermatic 72

Hey Guys,
    Just got this bad boy in a auction. Usually buy/resell most of my stuff, but I'm going to have to keep this one( If the warden allows it!) It has the extension table that looks like its twice the size of my heirloom '57 Craftsman 113. Getting down to the questions:

1.)If this top isn't completely flat, does anyone know a company in Texas or surrounding states with a blanchard machine big enough to have this thing resurfaced and looking new again?

2.) What would recommendations be on blade, 12" or 14". I have a 12" Chopmaster on my miter saw, so I don't think I will have to do much crosscutting with it. Just ripping and possibly bigger dado jobs that will stress out the " Ol Heirloom"

Also, if any 72 owners have any other suggestions or insights, feel free to fire away!

Pretty pumped about this guys....I think I'm finding a hobby inside a hobby

you might want to post over at owwm.org as those guys know PM pretty well. Depending on vintage I would guess the old table may be more flat than something you buy new. PM used a pretty fine grade of Meehanite castings before they cheapened stuff up during and after the Houdaille years. Check to see if a 14" blade will drop completely below the table as some saws of that size run a 14" but it stays 1" above. I'm assuming three phase as most are but there are some single phase machines. 7.5 hp was most common but 5 was available. Similar to the Delta 12-14 of the same era and well liked. Built about twice as heavy as the 66. The PM 72 and Delta 12-14 are two real deals on the used market. I still have one although I stepped up to the old cast iron machines. Good luck. Dave

Thanks Dave. Appreciate the input.

The 14 will not drop below the table but it will provide more depth of cut, your choice of evils. I'm surprised to hear that the table is not flat enough. Powermatic surface grinds instead of Blanchard so there aren't the circular grind pattern is my understanding though Blanchard grinding would work fine. I envy you for having the extension. I am still looking for those wings for mine. Congratulations, that is one of the good saws. Wardens can sometimes be bribed.
    Chuck