Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laguna 1412 bandsaw used. What is a good price?

What I always do for a used machine is first thoroughly check it out: turn it on, do some cuts on lumber you bring over yourself, which should tell you if it'll work for you. After making sure it actually works as well as it should, I unplug it and thoroughly check for casting breaks, bad rust, missing parts (including guards, fence, bolts, ett.), and ensuring the accessories being offered are meant for the machine.

Only if I'm fully satisifed with all the above will I offer a starting point figure. For me, that's 50% of the current retail price of the tool (in this case that's $440 because of the sale going on right now) plus 50% of the going price for accessories that go with it. Remember that quite often retailers will bundle a number of accessories for a special deal to entice the original buyer... so offering 50% for them is, to my way of thinking, how it goes. Don't include any taxes or shipping the original owner may have paid in that 50% calculation, either. It's used, right?

Again, that's my starting point. If the machine is particularly pristine or if it's something I REALLY need to add to my stable of machines, that will temper the upper limit I will consider while bartering back and forth with the seller. In the vast majority of such sales I never go higher than 75%, unless the used market dictates otherwise. Point in case are Oneway lathes, which hold their value better than most other lathes.

Hope this helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Seward View Post
    Rick....I just received an email from Laguna.....they have 13 14Twelve demo machines on sale for $875.....there are others as well....they may even have a warranty...not sure
    https://lagunatools.com/march-madness-deals/
    scroll down....HTH
    Last edited by Marty Schlosser; 03-01-2017 at 8:47 PM.
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

I Picked it up today for $650 and it had the wheel kit included. It looks barely used. I came with 3 blades plus a broken resale king blade (not sure if it can be re-welded)

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Pinzon View Post
    I Picked it up today for $650 and it had the wheel kit included. It looks barely used. I came with 3 blades plus a broken resale king blade (not sure if it can be re-welded)
    That's a good deal. Blades can be rewelded but may not be worth it depending on blade pedigree and condition.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

It's a $150 laguna Resaw King blade

Ship the blade back to Laguna.....they can probably repair it....if you do get the light, make sure it is the articulating style....not the one Laguna sells that goes with the 14Twelve....Great deal BTW

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Seward View Post
    Ship the blade back to Laguna.....they can probably repair it....if you do get the light, make sure it is the articulating style....not the one Laguna sells that goes with the 14Twelve....Great deal BTW

I doubt they will repair it since I do not have a receipt. Will they?

7. Congrats on the purchase. If you had paid retail I am sure you would be happy, so you should be twice as happy now. if you have any luck with laguna I would love to hear about it. Mine broke with less than a half hour on it. Amazing cut though. I actually had my hands on another one in the store two weeks ago but i just couldn't make myself do it... yet.

Quote Originally Posted by michael barbe View Post
    Congrats on the purchase. If you had paid retail I am sure you would be happy, so you should be twice as happy now. if you have any luck with laguna I would love to hear about it. Mine broke with less than a half hour on it. Amazing cut though. I actually had my hands on another one in the store two weeks ago but i just couldn't make myself do it... yet.

Yes I think I got a good price. Laguna currently has the demo sale as others mentioned in this thread for $875 but there is still the $150 for wheels(unless the demos have the wheels), $75 shipping and tax. I can't afford that. They also have their non demo on sale for $975 right now for those of you out there can afford it. I would have probably kept looking if someone else bought the saw or bought a new 14 inch grizzly in their $600 price range. This one made sense to me because it has 1.75 hp, 13in resaw capacity, and it works with 110v. It met all of my immediate needs.

I'm looking forward to using it and hopefully it does not break.

How did yours break and did you get it fixed or return to laguna?
    Last edited by Rick Pinzon; 03-04-2017 at 8:29 PM.

They probably won't do it for free unless it broke at the weld. It is probably worth fixing since it can be easily resharpened. I remember when they had a sale on the old style people found a place in Ohio (IIRC) that would cut and reweld them shorter (Laguna was selling off the old stock) but I can't remember the shop but if you run into problems getting it rewelded you could probably find it with a search, seems like it was sometime in the 2011-2012 time frame. People didn't seem to have much luck at their local saw shops getting them rewelded but I don;t remember the reason.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    They probably won't do it for free unless it broke at the weld. It is probably worth fixing since it can be easily resharpened. I remember when they had a sale on the old style people found a place in Ohio (IIRC) that would cut and reweld them shorter (Laguna was selling off the old stock) but I can't remember the shop but if you run into problems getting it rewelded you could probably find it with a search, seems like it was sometime in the 2011-2012 time frame. People didn't seem to have much luck at their local saw shops getting them rewelded but I don;t remember the reason.

Thanks Van, I will look into it.

Of course you will have to pay for it but it will be well worth it.....best re-saw blade I have ever used and it can be re-sharpened....

I am now thinking, how can I tell if in fact it is a Resaw King blade vs another brand? Do blades ever have any identifiers etched in them?

I am now thinking, how can I tell if in fact it is a Resaw King blade vs another brand? Do blades ever have any identifiers etched in them?
    Many blades have the identifying info printed on the blade which may not survive long, I honestly can't remember if the RK has anything on the blade or not. First make sure it is indeed a carbide blade, they have teeth brazed on just like a bandsaw blade not just teeth cut and bent like a "normal" bandsaw blade. Use calipers to determine the width of the teeth and the gauge (thickness of the backer). A RK will be .024" backer and .041" at the teeth. Even without doing that if it is a 3/4" blade and has variable tooth spacing it is almost certainly a RK, I can't think of another 3/4" blade with variable TPI.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Many blades have the identifying info printed on the blade which may not survive long, I honestly can't remember if the RK has anything on the blade or not. First make sure it is indeed a carbide blade, they have teeth brazed on just like a bandsaw blade not just teeth cut and bent like a "normal" bandsaw blade. Use calipers to determine the width of the teeth and the gauge (thickness of the backer). A RK will be .024" backer and .041" at the teeth. Even without doing that if it is a 3/4" blade and has variable tooth spacing it is almost certainly a RK, I can't think of another 3/4" blade with variable TPI.
    It looks like my blade is definitely a RK based on your description. Thanks Van

Here are a couple of the blade photos. Maybe someone else that is not familiar with the blade (like I was ) can see what a variable TPI blade looks like.
    IMG_0339.jpgIMG_0340.jpg