Thread: Who Makes And Sells The Best Pepper Mill Kits?

Who Makes And Sells The Best Pepper Mill Kits?

I made my first pepper mill using a kit from PSI for use in our home and it turned out and works very well. Now my wife wants me to make several more for friends and relatives.

Before I proceed and order more kits I wanted to ask the members from this forum that have made pepper mills who they think makes and sells the best pepper mill kits? And why?

Thank you

Dom

I've used several types. I really like the ceramic Crush Grind - smooth operation. I think I bought some from Woodcraft and Craft Supplies sells them.

JKJ

It's CrushGrind@ all the way. Get a copy of Turning Salt & Pepper Shakers and Pepper Mills by Chris West. All you will ever need to know about turning pepper mills. - John

PS - CrushGrind@ mechanisms are a no adhesive install. Don't be mislead by some who recommend removing the lugs on the grinding mechanism and using an adhesive to secure the grinding mechanism in the mill body. - John

Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    It's CrushGrind@ all the way. Get a copy of Turning Salt & Pepper Shakers and Pepper Mills by Chris West. All you will ever need to know about turning pepper mills. - John

PS - CrushGrind@ mechanisms are a no adhesive install. Don't be mislead by some who recommend removing the lugs on the grinding mechanism and using an adhesive to secure the grinding mechanism in the mill body. - John
    I agree. Crush grind is in my opinion the best. I have made at least 20 for family and friends. John is right they can be made without adhesive, but you need to purchase the cutter to cut the slot where the tabs slip into.
    I have made all mine using epoxy (after cutting the tabs) and they have held up well. The instructions that Craft Supplies sends with the mills recommends cutting the tabs and using epoxy.

Hmm-- These look as though they involve an awful lot of plastic. Zillion year warranties aside, do they actually hold up in use? How well do they perform in terms of uniformity of grind and how long does it take to grind say a tablespoon of pepper? How well do they manage very coarse grinds-- like cracking peppercorns into four neat pieces?

I've been using the same Perfex grinder for over 40 years now and run 2-3 pounds of peppercorns through it each year, but I'd love to have something nicer looking for the table if it worked reasonably well. I have maybe 10 factory and turner-produced grinders in the closet that just don't work very well (too slow and unable to make a good coarse grind), so I'm leery of investing in more.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Hmm-- These look as though they involve an awful lot of plastic. Zillion year warranties aside, do they actually hold up in use? How well do they perform in terms of uniformity of grind and how long does it take to grind say a tablespoon of pepper? How well do they manage very coarse grinds-- like cracking peppercorns into four neat pieces?

I've been using the same Perfex grinder for over 40 years now and run 2-3 pounds of peppercorns through it each year, but I'd love to have something nicer looking for the table if it worked reasonably well. I have maybe 10 factory and turner-produced grinders in the closet that just don't work very well (too slow and unable to make a good coarse grind), so I'm leery of investing in more.
    I don't think there is any plastic in the crush grind.grinding mechanism - just ceramic. I don't know about the long-term use except to report the set I made from cocobolo and dogwood has been in daily use for over 10 years now. This is the one from dogwood:

peppermill_dogwood.jpg

BTW, I use an off-the-shelf bit on a Dremel to cut the slots.

JKJ

How do use the dremel to cut the slot and which bit? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Stanton View Post
    How do use the dremel to cut the slot and which bit? TIA
    Sorry, I don't remember. I remember looking at what was needed, finding a cutter that would work, and using it. I'll have to pay attention the next time I make one. And [gasp!] write it down.

JKJ

Crush Grind the best but expensive. I have made about eighty of them and looking now for the second best. I grove and epoxy.